How inflation solves the horizon problem

In summary, the horizon problem is solved by inflation, which keeps the Hubble radius constant. This allows for shorter distances between objects than would be possible without inflation.
torus
Hi,
I'm trying to figure out how inflation (just deSitter) solves the horizon problem, but I am stuck. I understand the solution in terms of conformal coordinates, allowing for a negative conformal time let's the lightcones of CMB intersect. Fine. But how do I see "physically" what is going on?
In most reviews I studied they compare some (comoving) scale L to the comoving Hubble scale 1/(H a(t)) (a(t) being the scale factor, here a~exp(H t)), and since this Hubble radius shrinks down, the horizon problem is no more.
BUT: I don't get why we compare the scale L to the Hubble radius in the first place. None of my reviews provide a proper meaning of 1/Ha (well, besides some handwaving scaling arguments...), so this seems fishy to me. If I try to do it the way I thought it was right, comparing the scale to the integral over 1/a from the beginning of inflation to time t, it comes out wrong, since this integral still increases with time, i.e. the "horizon" does not shrink down.

Any help very much appreciated!

Regards,
torus

Space news on Phys.org
The reason why the scale L is compared to the Hubble radius is that the Hubble radius sets (somewhat roughly) the possible interaction length: on longer scales, speed of light limitations prevent any interaction.

Inflation solves this particular issue because during inflation, the Hubble scale was nearly constant, such that if we take any length scale L today, and consider that L scales as a*L going into the past, at some point during inflation a*L < c/H(a) (since H is nearly a constant during inflation, and a*L decreases monotonically into the past).

Does that help?

Well, the question is exactly: Why does the Hubble radius set the interaction length?
Sure, it has the right dimension, but we could still multiply by a or something. Or it could be an integral.

torus said:
Well, the question is exactly: Why does the Hubble radius set the interaction length?
Sure, it has the right dimension, but we could still multiply by a or something. Or it could be an integral.
Well, technically it is an integral, but the result is no more than a factor of a few from the Hubble radius. And, if I remember correctly, the result is precisely the Hubble radius in de Sitter space.

Okay, I finally found a way to make it clear for myself: The comoving distance a lightray travels from a_1 to a_2 is given by
[tex]\int_{a_1}^{a_2} \frac{1}{aH} d\ln a = \frac{1}{H a_1} - \frac{1}{H a_2}[/tex]
so let's say in the first half of inflation: a_1 = a_i, a_2=a_f/2 with a_f/a_i being the huge factor of like 60 e-folds, we have the length 1/Ha_i, whereas in the second half (a_1=a_f/2, a_2 = a_f) we get 1/Ha_f, so at the end of inflation, a light ray can travel less far compared to the initial time, since H stays constant the entire time. The same argument does not hold for matter or radiation dominated, since we do not get the huge 1/Ha_i but rather something small like a_i.

This looks fine, thank you for your help, Chalnoth!

Regards,
torus

What is the horizon problem in cosmology?

The horizon problem refers to the observation that the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation, which is the remnant radiation from the Big Bang, is extremely uniform across the entire observable universe. This presents a problem because it suggests that regions of the universe that are separated by vast distances should not have the same temperature and density, as they have not had enough time to come into thermal equilibrium. This is known as the horizon problem.

How does inflation solve the horizon problem?

Inflation theory proposes that in the very early universe, there was a period of rapid expansion, causing the universe to grow exponentially in a fraction of a second. This explains why regions of the universe that are now far apart were once close enough to reach thermal equilibrium, solving the horizon problem.

What evidence supports the inflation theory?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the inflation theory. One of the most significant is the observation of the CMB, which shows a high degree of uniformity on a large scale. This is consistent with the predictions of inflation. Additionally, the inflation theory has successfully predicted several other observations, such as the homogeneity of matter distribution in the universe and the absence of magnetic monopoles.

Are there any alternative explanations for the horizon problem?

Yes, there are alternative explanations for the horizon problem. One such explanation is the theory of cosmic defects, which suggests that topological defects, such as cosmic strings, could have formed in the early universe and caused the observed uniformity in the CMB. However, this theory has not been as widely accepted as inflation and does not have as much supporting evidence.

What are the implications of inflation for our understanding of the universe?

Inflation theory has greatly influenced our understanding of the universe and its origins. It provides a solution to the horizon problem and helps explain the large-scale structure of the universe. It also supports the idea of a flat universe and provides a potential explanation for the origin of the tiny fluctuations in the CMB, which eventually led to the formation of galaxies and other structures in the universe.