What was the tough material shown on Tomorrows World in the late 80s?

• Thread starter freepizza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, the speaker is searching for more information about a safe made from a material containing carbon 60 or graphene, which was demonstrated on BBC's Tomorrow's World in the late 80's or early 90's. The safe was dropped from a significant height, drilled, and exposed to extreme temperatures without sustaining any damage. The speaker is interested in finding a video clip of the demonstration or more information on the materials used.
freepizza
Hi all,

I have search far and wide for this answer and could not find it.

During the late 80's and early 90's Carbon 60 or Buckminsterfullerene & Graphene(I think) were a hot topic. In BBC's tomorrows world they demonstrated a safe made out of a material, which I think was one of those two but cannot be sure. The texture of the safe was a slight lumpy surface and black in colour.

- This safe was Dropped from 20-30 stories high,
- Drilled until the bits wore out the bit down to the chuck almost.
- A heavy duty concrete disk cutter was worn right down to the last remaining blade part.
- And not a scratch on the safe.
- Then put into a furnace of 11000 degrees C for 6 hours.

After all this the safe was opened and the paper documents inside were in one piece.

I want to find out more about this can anyone help? Or is there a video clip of this out there somewhere.

Many Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. It is intriguing that you remember this demonstration from BBC's Tomorrow's World. Carbon 60 and graphene were indeed hot topics in the late 80's and early 90's, and there were many exciting potential applications being explored for these materials.

Based on your description, it is likely that the safe you saw in the demonstration was made from a composite material containing carbon 60 or graphene. These materials have unique properties that make them incredibly strong and resistant to damage, even under extreme conditions like those you described.

In terms of finding more information or a video clip of this demonstration, I would recommend reaching out to the BBC directly. They may have archives of their past episodes and could potentially provide you with more information or a video clip of the demonstration. Additionally, there may be scientific research papers or articles discussing the use of carbon 60 or graphene in composite materials for security purposes.

I hope this helps. Good luck in your search!

1. What was the tough material shown on Tomorrows World in the late 80s?

The tough material shown on Tomorrows World in the late 80s was called Kevlar. It is a synthetic fiber that is five times stronger than steel and is commonly used in bulletproof vests, tires, and other high-strength applications.

2. Is Kevlar still used today?

Yes, Kevlar is still used today in a variety of applications. It has been continuously improved and is now used in a wide range of industries, including aerospace, sports equipment, and automotive parts.

3. How was Kevlar discovered?

Kevlar was discovered by chemist Stephanie Kwolek in 1965 while working for DuPont. She was trying to develop a lightweight, strong fiber for tires when she accidentally created Kevlar.

4. What are the properties of Kevlar that make it so strong?

Kevlar's strength comes from its unique molecular structure. It has a very high tensile strength, meaning it can withstand a lot of pulling force without breaking. It is also resistant to heat, chemicals, and abrasion.

5. Are there any downsides to using Kevlar?

While Kevlar is a very strong and versatile material, it can be expensive to produce and work with. It also has a low melting point, so it is not suitable for high-temperature applications. Additionally, Kevlar can be stiff and brittle, making it unsuitable for some flexible applications.

Back