Is biodegradable thin film the future of packaging?

In summary, using bioplastic from bio-based sources is preferable to recycled plastic that includes convention plastic.
doolue
I'm working for the Company that specialize in thin film polyethylene. I research the tendency of using biodegradable thin film for packaging, Anyone that have knowledge or information about this such as report of the kinds of polymer used in that field. Please give me a help.
thanks a lot

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't cite a reference, because I'm working from a very old and dim memory. As opposed to polyethylene, the only thin film "plastic" wrap that I've ever seen described was actually made out of vegetable matter.

Oops! It's too late to edit my last post, so I have to correct it here. I meant to say that the only biodegradable film that I knew of was made of vegetable matter. :redface:

vegetable-based plastics

In your opinion, in Europe, the tendency of using bioplastic from bio-based plastic is preferable than recycle plastic that includes convention plastic?

I'm afraid that I don't know enough about the subject to even have an opinion, especially about socio-political issues in Europe. (I'm a Canuck, so our situation is a lot different than yours. Our super-low population density is only one factor in that.)
All that I can offer is what I would think if you were on this side of the pond. If you are using plastic that is already in existence, rather than creating new stuff with the intention of recycling it in future operations, I consider that preferable to using vegetable-based material. At least it gets the stuff out of the landfills. If you don't use it, then maybe nobody else will either and it will just continue to accumulate. It will also be much cheaper if you already have the infrastructure in place; I assume that using biomatter would require a whole new processing system.
The only reason that I mentioned plants at all was because I know nothing about chemistry and can't figure out how you would make "traditional" plastic biodegradable. I guess that it's technically "organic" since it's made out of dead dinosaurs, but I have yet to see a Pepsi bottle disintegrate spontaneously.

What is a thin film packaging?

A thin film packaging is a type of packaging material that is made up of a thin layer of film, usually less than 0.2 mm in thickness. It is commonly used for food and consumer goods packaging, as it provides a barrier against moisture, oxygen, and other contaminants.

What are the benefits of using thin film for packaging?

Thin film packaging offers several benefits, including being lightweight, flexible, and cost-effective. It also provides excellent protection against external factors, such as moisture, UV rays, and microorganisms. Additionally, thin film packaging is easy to print on, making it ideal for branding and marketing purposes.

How is thin film packaging made?

Thin film packaging is typically made using a process called extrusion. In this process, plastic pellets are melted and then passed through a die to form a thin, continuous film. The film is then cooled and rolled up into large rolls, which can then be cut into smaller sizes for packaging purposes.

What types of materials are used to make thin film packaging?

The most commonly used materials for making thin film packaging include polyethylene (PE), polypropylene (PP), and polyester (PET). These materials are known for their durability, flexibility, and ability to provide a barrier against external factors. They are also recyclable, making them a more sustainable option for packaging.

What are the environmental impacts of using thin film packaging?

While thin film packaging offers many benefits, it can also have a negative impact on the environment if not disposed of properly. It is important to recycle thin film packaging whenever possible to reduce waste. Additionally, companies are now developing more sustainable and biodegradable thin film packaging options to minimize its impact on the environment.