Plasma Physics PhD in the US vs UK

In summary, a Physics student in the UK is planning to apply for a PhD in Plasma Physics in the autumn, specifically in the area of Magnetic Confinement Fusion. The UK has a limited university network for MCF, with only 3 significant universities. The student is considering applying to American universities, specifically Princeton and MIT, and has extensive research experience and top grades. They also have questions about the length of the PhD program, standardized tests, and recommendations for other good Plasma Physics departments. They are also interested in the benefits and negatives of studying in the US versus the UK. Another individual, an American student, is planning to attend York for their M.Sc. in fusion and is also interested in MCF. They are considering staying in
Bracklesham
I'm a Physics student in the UK planning to apply for a PhD in Plasma Physics this autumn, in the area of Magnetic Confinement Fusion (MCF) specifically. The UK has a rather limited MCF university network, with only 3 universities playing a significant part. Two of these, Oxford and Imperial, probably won't be offering relevant PhDs for the 2015 year, but I'll apply anyway. York is the other option (and an excellent one at that).

In order to keep my options open I'm considering applying to American universities, with Princeton and MIT the main two I've considered so far. I have extensive Plasma Physics research experience so good letters of recommendation shouldn't be a problem. I have top grades and I will have at least two publications (one as main author) in standard Plasma Physics journals by the time I apply.

I do have a few questions regarding study in the USA:

Since I will have studied more Plasma Physics and general Physics than most US students, will the PhD still take 5-6 years? If not, how long will it take?

Standardised tests - are these considered important in the application process? They don't look too hard from my quick look, but what is considered a good score?

Could you please recommend any other good Plasma Physics departments?

In your opinion, what are the significant benefits and/or negatives of studying in the US instead of the UK?

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ha! I am almost in the opposite situation. I'm an American student, and I'm going to York this fall to do their M.Sc. in fusion. I'm also interested in MCF. I'm trying to figure out whether I'll want to come back after the masters for a PhD or to stay in Europe after because I feel like the quality of life in some places over there could be a lot better, and you get better pay as a grad student in places like Sweden or Norway.

You sound like you have a lot of research experience already (which I thought is not very common among UK undergrads?). Sounds like you have a chance at applying to some top schools. I applied to Wisconsin and got accepted with only a little research in electric propulsion and some research in the math department which wasn't related to plasma physics.
I'd encourage you to apply there. Just look at PPPL's faculty and staff, tons of them went to Wisconsin. Also some other good schools are UCLA, Maryland, Michigan and University of Washington in Seattle. The plasma research isn't always necessarily done in physics departments over here, though.

Hercuflea said:
Ha! I am almost in the opposite situation. I'm an American student, and I'm going to York this fall to do their M.Sc. in fusion. I'm also interested in MCF. I'm trying to figure out whether I'll want to come back after the masters for a PhD or to stay in Europe after because I feel like the quality of life in some places over there could be a lot better, and you get better pay as a grad student in places like Sweden or Norway.
Thanks for your reply, it's great to hear from someone in the equal but opposite situation! Everyone I have spoken to has raved about the York masters and PhD courses so excellent choice in that respect! With regards to post-Masters, I say play it by ear and see how you like life in Europe. If you do want to stay, look into Uppsala University in Sweden as they have an excellent department which is involved in research on MAST and JET tokamaks. Also look at universities in Germany, Finland and the Netherlands as they are involved in MCF research.
What prompted you to study in Europe rather than staying in the US?

Hercuflea said:
You sound like you have a lot of research experience already (which I thought is not very common among UK undergrads?). Sounds like you have a chance at applying to some top schools. I applied to Wisconsin and got accepted with only a little research in electric propulsion and some research in the math department which wasn't related to plasma physics.
I'd encourage you to apply there. Just look at PPPL's faculty and staff, tons of them went to Wisconsin. Also some other good schools are UCLA, Maryland, Michigan and University of Washington in Seattle. The plasma research isn't always necessarily done in physics departments over here, though.
I do have a lot of research experience and it is indeed unusual for UK undergrads (is it the same in the US?), I was lucky enough to work at MAST for a while. I'll certainly look into the schools you recommended, thank you.

Bracklesham said:
Thanks for your reply, it's great to hear from someone in the equal but opposite situation! Everyone I have spoken to has raved about the York masters and PhD courses so excellent choice in that respect! With regards to post-Masters, I say play it by ear and see how you like life in Europe. If you do want to stay, look into Uppsala University in Sweden as they have an excellent department which is involved in research on MAST and JET tokamaks. Also look at universities in Germany, Finland and the Netherlands as they are involved in MCF research.
What prompted you to study in Europe rather than staying in the US?

I'm glad to hear that! Yeah, the only reservation I have is that foreign PhD's are supposedly not viewed well by US hiring committees from what I've heard, since they don't do graduate coursework.

I received a Fulbright fellowship which basically pays for me to do a year's worth of graduate work in the UK, so I chose the one-year M.Sc. in Fusion Energy at York.
I do have a lot of research experience and it is indeed unusual for UK undergrads (is it the same in the US?), I was lucky enough to work at MAST for a while. I'll certainly look into the schools you recommended, thank you.

I think it is generally more common in the US (from what I've read) to do research as an undergraduate. My school is a relatively small school with not very much research going on, but we have the opportunity to do it if we want to as long as there is a professor willing to let us participate. I'm hoping to work at MAST or JET while I'm at York, how did you get involved in that?

As a fellow scientist in the field of Plasma Physics, I can understand your dilemma in choosing between pursuing a PhD in the US or the UK. Both countries have strong research programs in this area, but there are some differences that you should consider before making your decision.

Firstly, regarding the length of the PhD program, it is difficult to say for certain as it can vary depending on the specific program and research project. However, in my experience, a PhD in Plasma Physics in the US typically takes around 5-6 years to complete. This may be slightly longer than in the UK, where PhD programs tend to be more structured and focused, but it also allows for more flexibility and independence in your research.

In terms of standardized tests, they are often required for admission to PhD programs in the US, but their importance may vary from program to program. As someone with extensive research experience and strong letters of recommendation, your scores may not be as heavily weighted in the application process. However, it is always a good idea to aim for a high score to strengthen your application.

As for other good Plasma Physics departments in the US, I would recommend looking into the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and the University of Texas at Austin. These are all highly reputable institutions with strong research programs in Plasma Physics.

In terms of benefits and negatives of studying in the US versus the UK, there are a few things to consider. On the positive side, the US has a larger and more diverse research community in Plasma Physics, which means more opportunities for collaboration and networking. Additionally, there may be more funding opportunities available for research projects in the US. On the negative side, the cost of living and tuition fees may be higher in the US compared to the UK. Also, the structure of PhD programs in the US may be less structured and require more independent research, which may be challenging for some students.

Ultimately, I would recommend considering your research interests and goals, as well as the specific programs and opportunities available at each institution, before making your decision. Both the US and UK have strong programs in Plasma Physics, and I am confident that you will have a successful PhD experience no matter where you choose to study. Best of luck in your decision and future studies!

1. What is the difference between studying Plasma Physics for a PhD in the US and in the UK?

The main difference between studying Plasma Physics for a PhD in the US and in the UK is the structure of the programs. In the US, PhD programs are typically longer and more research-focused, while in the UK, they are shorter and more coursework-based. Additionally, the funding and support available to PhD students may also differ between the two countries.

2. How do the research opportunities in Plasma Physics differ between the US and UK?

The research opportunities in Plasma Physics may differ between the US and UK due to the specific areas of focus and expertise of the universities and research institutes in each country. In general, the US may have more established and well-funded research programs in certain areas, while the UK may excel in other areas.

3. Do the requirements for admission to a Plasma Physics PhD program vary between the US and UK?

Yes, the requirements for admission to a Plasma Physics PhD program may vary between the US and UK. In the US, a Master's degree in a related field may be required, while in the UK, a Bachelor's degree may be sufficient. Additionally, the admissions process and criteria may differ between universities in each country.

4. Are there any notable differences in the curriculum for a Plasma Physics PhD program in the US and UK?

Yes, there may be notable differences in the curriculum for a Plasma Physics PhD program in the US and UK. In the US, the curriculum may be more research-focused, with a larger emphasis on independent research projects. In the UK, there may be more coursework and structured modules included in the program.

5. How do the career prospects for a Plasma Physics PhD differ between the US and UK?

The career prospects for a Plasma Physics PhD may differ between the US and UK depending on the individual's goals and interests. In general, the US may offer more opportunities in research and academia, while the UK may have more opportunities in industry and government positions. However, both countries have a strong demand for plasma physicists in various fields.