How Do You Parametrize y = x^2 for Physics Calculations?

• Thread starter philipc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the soluton manual has r(t) = ui + u2j -- [0,2] when t=0, 2, and the x and y components of r are t and <f(t), f(t> respectively.
philipc
How would one might parametrize y = x^2

Here is the problem

"an object moves along the parabola y = x^2 from (0,0) to (2,4). One of the forces acting on the object is F(x,y) = (x+2y)i + (2x+y)j. Calculate the work done by F."

the soluction manual has r(t) = ui + u2j -- [0,2]
I forgot how to parametrize this type of function(y = x^2), and how to get the limits of integration of [0,2]?
Thanks
Philip

Physics news on Phys.org
the soluction manual has r(t) = ui + u2j -- [0,2]

No it didn't; it probably had something like [itex]\mathbf{r}(t) = t \mathbf{i} + t^2 \mathbf{j}\; -- \; [0, 2][/itex] though. What are the [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] components of [itex]r[/itex] as a function of [itex]t[/itex]? How does the range of [itex]t[/itex] compare to the ranges of [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex]? Does that give you any ideas how one might, in general, parametrize the curve [itex]y=f(x) \; \mbox{from} \; (a, f(a)) \; \mbox{to} \; (b, f(b))[/itex]?

Last edited:
Hurkly,
Sorry I forgot the "^", yes you were right. You would have to forgive me, being an "elder" student, I don't remember a thing from the past, so my foundation in math is a bit weak. Can you give me what level of math that material may have been covered? That way I can do some reading on it.
Thanks for your help,
Philip

I first saw simple parameterizations, functions and circles, in my university's Calculus1 course. They appeared again, fairly extensively, in my Multivariable Calculus course.

When you have a function defined as y in terms of x, the simple parameterization is to let x=t, then y=f(t). This gives
r(t)=<t, f(t)> as the position vector.

You will then obtain the limits, in terms of t, from the beginning and ending values of x, since x = t.

I'm sure someone will give you a more rigorous explanation, but I hope this helps.

FAQ: How Do You Parametrize y = x^2 for Physics Calculations?

1. What does it mean to parametrize a function in physics?

Parametrizing a function in physics means to represent the function in terms of a parameter or variable that changes over time or in different scenarios. This allows for a more flexible and comprehensive understanding of the function and its relationship with other variables.

2. How is y=x^2 used in physics?

The function y=x^2 is commonly used in physics to model the relationship between two variables that have a quadratic relationship. This can be seen in various physical phenomena such as projectile motion, gravitational force, and electric fields.

3. How do you graph y=x^2 in physics?

To graph y=x^2 in physics, you would plot points on a Cartesian plane where the x-axis represents the independent variable and the y-axis represents the dependent variable. The points would be calculated using different values for the parameter x, and the resulting graph would be a parabola.

4. What is the significance of y=x^2 in physics?

The function y=x^2 has significant importance in physics as it helps to describe many natural phenomena, including motion, energy, and forces. It is also a fundamental part of many equations and laws in physics, such as Newton's second law and the law of universal gravitation.

5. Can y=x^2 be used in other fields besides physics?

Yes, y=x^2 can be used in other fields besides physics. It is a fundamental mathematical function that is often used in economics, biology, and engineering to model various relationships between variables. For example, in economics, it can be used to model the relationship between revenue and production costs.

Back