Proving t(n) Divisible by 3 Implies n is Divisible by 3

• Thread starter Ed Quanta
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses using induction and modular arithmetic to prove that if the sum of the digits of a number n is divisible by 3, then n is also divisible by 3. They also mention the concept of successors and the strong principle of induction. The use of modular arithmetic is suggested to prove this statement, but the person asking the question is unsure how to use it.
Ed Quanta
That iff the sum of the digits of n is divisible by 3, then n is divisible by 3.

Defining t(n) to be the sum of the digits of n, can I just use induction show n-t(n)=3x is true. Since we know if this statement is true, then it can't be true for n+1, do I use n+3 as what I am trying to show holds true by induction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whenever you have a question asking you about digits in the number, you've got to think that it might have something to do with expansion.

So, if the number looks like [tex] x_nx_{n-1}\ldots x_0[/tex] it stands for

[tex] 10^nx_n+10^{n-1}x_{n-1}+\ldots +x_0[/tex]

What do you know about modulo arithmetic?

I can't use modulo arithmetic to solve this.

Why on Earth not? (that's sort of rhetorical)

If you must use induction, then you can.Induction, despite being taught in terms of n and n +1, only requires the idea of successors, they could be labelled obviously by n and n+1, but there's no reason why they can't be 0,3,6,...,n+3,n+6...

You should probably find out about the strong principle of induction, too.

Yeah, I learned the strong principle of induction but I still don't really see why it works or rather when it is necessary opposed to showing n implies n+1. Yeah, I know there is a way not involving induction which is probably prettier. Out of curiosity though, how would you use modular arithmetic to do this. You don't have to write it out, just throw a couple of ideas. We learned modular arithmetic after this problem was assigned which is why I don't want to use that in my proof.

This might help:

[tex]10^nx_n \equiv x_n\textrm{ mod }3[/tex]

cookiemonster

For the inductive proof: suppose we want to show n is divisible by 3, well, that is true iff n-3 is divisible by three. The result follows by induction (you'll need base cases for n=0,1,2 to be sure) if you can show that if the result holds for n-3, then it holds for n.This is easy if n-3 ends in 0,1..6, for then the sum of the digits in n is the sum of the digits of n-3 plus 3, and then the sum of n's digits is divisible by 3 iff n is follows by induction. If n-3 ends in 7,8, or 9 you'll have to think a little harder.

1. What does "t(n) divisible by 3" mean?

"t(n) divisible by 3" means that when the function t is applied to a number n, the result is a multiple of 3 (i.e. t(n) = 3k, where k is an integer).

2. Can you provide an example to illustrate "t(n) divisible by 3"?

Yes, for example, if t(n) = n^2, then t(6) = 36, which is divisible by 3 since 36 = 3*12.

3. How is "n divisible by 3" related to "t(n) divisible by 3"?

If t(n) is divisible by 3, then n must also be divisible by 3. This is because t(n) = 3k implies that n = t^-1(3k) = k, which is a multiple of 3.

4. Why is it important to prove that t(n) divisible by 3 implies n is divisible by 3?

This is important because it allows us to make inferences about the divisibility of n based on the divisibility of t(n). In some cases, it may be easier to prove that t(n) is divisible by 3 rather than directly proving that n is divisible by 3.

5. What are some real-life applications of this concept?

This concept can be applied in various fields such as computer science, number theory, and cryptography. For example, in computer science, this concept can be used to design efficient algorithms that rely on the divisibility of numbers. In cryptography, it can be used to prove the validity of certain encryption schemes.