Solve Difference Equations: Finding Impulse Response

• Thread starter EugP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, the conversation was about finding the impulse response for a discrete-time system. The solution involved finding the homogeneous solution of a difference equation using the characteristic equation and taking the roots to the power of k. The constants in the solution were necessary due to ambiguity.
EugP

Homework Statement

For the discrete-time system:

[tex]y[k+2]+\frac{1}{6}y[k+1]-\frac{1}{6}y[k]=f[k+1]+f[k][/tex]

Find the impulse response.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright so I started like this:

[tex]h_0[k+2]+\frac{1}{6}h_0[k+1]-\frac{1}{6}h_0[k]=0[/tex]

[tex]h_0[1]=0[/tex]

[tex]h_0[2]=1[/tex]

Now this is where I'm stuck. I know I need to get the equation for [tex]h_0[k][/tex], but I don't know how. The equation they got is:

[tex]h_0[k]=C_1(-\frac{1}{2})^k+C_2(\frac{1}{3})^k[/tex]

Can anyone tell me how they got there?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is the homogeneous solution of the difference equation:

You can take the characteristic equation which is a quadratic:[tex]m^2 + \frac{1}{6}m-\frac{1}{6}=0[/tex]

and then take the roots. You will find the roots to be -1/2 and 1/3. The
[tex]C_1 [/tex] and [tex]C_1 [/tex] are constants made necessary because the ambiguity in the solution (same as differential equations). The answer is then just the roots taken to the power of k. k is just the value in a sequence.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, this clears everything up for me!

you are welcome

1. What is a difference equation?

A difference equation is a mathematical representation of a system that describes how its output value changes over time in response to its input values. It is a discrete version of a differential equation and is often used to model dynamic systems in science and engineering.

2. How are difference equations solved?

Difference equations can be solved analytically or numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding a closed-form expression for the solution, while numerical solutions use algorithms to approximate the solution. The method used depends on the complexity of the equation and the desired accuracy of the solution.

3. What is impulse response?

Impulse response is the output of a system when it is stimulated with an impulse input, which is a short, high-intensity signal. It is used to characterize the behavior of a system and is an important concept in signal processing and control theory.

4. How do you find the impulse response of a difference equation?

To find the impulse response of a difference equation, the equation is first solved for the output using the impulse input as the input value. This results in a sequence of output values, which represent the impulse response of the system. Alternatively, the equation can be transformed into the frequency domain using the z-transform, and the impulse response can be found from the resulting transfer function.

5. What is the significance of finding the impulse response of a system?

The impulse response of a system provides valuable information about its behavior, such as its stability, response time, and frequency response. It is also used to design filters and controllers for the system, as well as to analyze and improve its performance. Additionally, the impulse response can be used to reconstruct the input signal from the output, making it a powerful tool in signal processing applications.