Composite Function Homework: Proving One-to-One & Onto

In summary, if the composite function g o f is one-to-one, then f is one-to-one, and if g o f is onto, then g is onto. This can be proven by showing that if g o f is one-to-one, then f is one-to-one, and if g o f is onto, then g is onto.
nikie1o2

Homework Statement

let A,B,C be sets, and let f : A--> B and g : B--> C be functions. The composite function denoted by g o f is a function from A to C defined as follows:

Homework Equations

g o f(x)=g(f(x)) for every x in A.

Prove that if g o f is one-to one, then f is one-to one
Prove that is g o f is onto, then g is onto

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to approach this problem. I didnt things similar with binary structures determining if they are an isomorphism by not familiar with composite functions

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I know how to approach it...check me if I'm right though

check if its one-to-one and onto

if it is one-to-one that implies if f(a)=f(b) then a=b

1. What is a composite function?

A composite function is a function that is formed by combining two or more functions, where the output of one function is used as the input for the next function.

2. How do you prove if a composite function is one-to-one?

In order to prove that a composite function is one-to-one, you must show that for every output, there is only one unique input. This can be done by using the vertical line test, or by showing that the function is injective, meaning that no two inputs produce the same output.

3. What does it mean for a composite function to be onto?

A composite function is onto if every element in the range has at least one corresponding element in the domain. This means that every output has at least one input that produces it.

4. How can you prove if a composite function is onto?

To prove that a composite function is onto, you must show that for every output, there exists at least one input that produces it. This can be done by using the horizontal line test, or by showing that the function is surjective, meaning that every element in the range has at least one corresponding element in the domain.

5. Why is it important to determine if a composite function is one-to-one or onto?

Determining if a composite function is one-to-one or onto is important because it helps us understand the relationship between the inputs and outputs of the function. It also allows us to determine if the function has an inverse, which is useful in solving equations and finding the original inputs from given outputs.