Mechanical Oscillator: finding frequency and wavelength of transverse wave

In summary, the given information includes a mechanical oscillator connected to the end of a stretched string that creates a transverse displacement. The tension in the string is 11.08 and the linear mass density is 11 grams/m. Using the given equation, the frequency of the transverse waves can be found by solving for ξ. Additionally, the wavelength of the waves can be found using the equation λ=Cw/ν, where Cw is the propagation velocity and ν is the frequency. Other equations may also be necessary to find these measurements.
Sepamo
A mechanical oscillator connected to the end of a stretched string creates a transverse displacement of the end that is given by ξ = 0.009 sin(22.8 t), where ξ is in meters, t is in seconds (and the argument of the sin function is in radians). The tension in the string is 11.08, and the string has a linear mass density of 11 grams/m. Find the frequency ν of the transverse waves, in units of Hz. Also Find the wavelength of the transverse waves, in units of m.

I found the propagation velocity (Cw). I believe I need to use the equation [itex]\lambda[/itex]=[itex]\frac{Cw}{\upsilon}[/itex]. I am not sure what other equation(s) to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sepamo said:
A mechanical oscillator connected to the end of a stretched string creates a transverse displacement of the end that is given by ξ = 0.009 sin(22.8 t), where ξ is in meters, t is in seconds (and the argument of the sin function is in radians). The tension in the string is 11.08, and the string has a linear mass density of 11 grams/m. Find the frequency ν of the transverse waves, in units of Hz. Also Find the wavelength of the transverse waves, in units of m.

I found the propagation velocity (Cw). I believe I need to use the equation [itex]\lambda[/itex]=[itex]\frac{Cw}{\upsilon}[/itex]. I am not sure what other equation(s) to use.

The frequency of a wave is the frequency of the thing causing the wave - the oscillator connected. That ξ expression should enable you to work that out.

1. What is a mechanical oscillator?

A mechanical oscillator is a physical system that exhibits periodic motion around an equilibrium point. This can be in the form of a pendulum, a spring-mass system, or any other system that can vibrate or oscillate.

2. How is frequency defined for a mechanical oscillator?

Frequency is the number of complete oscillations or cycles that a mechanical oscillator completes per unit time. It is measured in Hertz (Hz) and is inversely proportional to the period of the oscillation.

3. How do you find the frequency of a transverse wave in a mechanical oscillator?

The frequency of a transverse wave in a mechanical oscillator can be found by dividing the velocity of the wave by the wavelength. This can be calculated using the formula f = v/λ, where f is the frequency, v is the velocity, and λ is the wavelength.

4. How do you determine the wavelength of a transverse wave in a mechanical oscillator?

The wavelength of a transverse wave in a mechanical oscillator can be found by dividing the velocity of the wave by the frequency. This can be calculated using the formula λ = v/f, where λ is the wavelength, v is the velocity, and f is the frequency.

5. What factors affect the frequency and wavelength of a transverse wave in a mechanical oscillator?

The frequency and wavelength of a transverse wave in a mechanical oscillator are primarily affected by the properties of the medium the wave is traveling through, such as its density and elasticity. The length and tension of the oscillator also play a role in determining the frequency and wavelength of the wave.