Question about finding the area of a function with delta x

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the area of a section of a graph below the graph of a function, using a Ti-89 calculator and a function called 'ninc'. The conversation also mentions a question about finding the area on a specific interval of a function involving delta x divided by the square root of 1-x^2. The person is confused about how to solve this question and questions the use of the function * delta x format.
Juche
I am new to this subject and I don't know what its officially called. I know that we are determining the area of a section of a graph below the graph of the function from points [a,b].

When I have a question that asks something like the area of the function 1/( x^2) on the interval 5,11 I just use my Ti-89 calculator and the 'ninc' function.

However one of my questions asks for the area on the interval 0,0.7 of delta x/(1-x^2)^(1/2). How do I figure this out exactly, this doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't the area of the section under the function and above the x-axis be the height times width with delta x representing width and the function being height? My other questions were in the format function times delta x, I don't know how to do with with delta x divided by the function.

Physics news on Phys.org
hrm what's wrong with [tex] \frac {\Delta x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex] ? if you take the function to be [tex] \frac {1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex] then you have it in function * delta x form.

Finding the area under a curve is a fundamental concept in calculus. This process is known as integration, and it allows us to calculate the total area of a function between two given points. In this case, you are correct in thinking that the area should be the height times width, with delta x representing the width and the function representing the height. However, when calculating the area of a function that is divided by another function, we need to use a different method.

To find the area under the curve of a function divided by another function, we use a technique called integration by substitution. This involves substituting a new variable for the function in the denominator, and then using the chain rule to integrate the resulting function. In your case, you would substitute u=1-x^2, and then use the chain rule to integrate the function.

If you are new to this subject, it may be helpful to consult with your teacher or a tutor for further explanation and practice. Calculus can be a challenging subject, but with practice and understanding of the concepts, you will be able to solve problems like this one with ease. Keep up the good work and continue to ask questions and seek help when needed. Good luck!

What is the definition of delta x?

Delta x is a small change or increment in the value of x.

How do I find the area under a function using delta x?

To find the area under a function using delta x, you need to first divide the function into small rectangles with a width of delta x. Then, you can calculate the area of each rectangle using the formula A = base x height. Finally, add up all the individual areas of the rectangles to get the total area under the function.

What is the significance of using delta x in finding the area under a function?

Delta x is used to approximate the area under a curve because it allows us to divide the function into smaller, more manageable parts. By using smaller values of delta x, we can get a more accurate estimation of the area under the curve.

How do I choose a value for delta x?

The value of delta x depends on the level of accuracy you want in your calculation. Generally, a smaller value of delta x will result in a more accurate estimation of the area under the curve. However, it is important to strike a balance between accuracy and computational efficiency.

Can delta x be negative?

Technically, delta x can be negative, but it is typically used as a positive value in the context of finding the area under a curve. This is because delta x represents a change in the x-value, and the area under a function is always a positive value. However, in certain cases, such as when dealing with a decreasing function, delta x may be negative.