Calculating Force to Move Block Horizontally - Abraham

• Thread starter abrahamjp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: In reality, though, friction always exists between two surfaces, and the magnitude of that friction is determined by the coefficient of friction.
abrahamjp
Hi,

Consider a block sits on a table and its weight is 25N.So its weight is acting downwards
and I want to move this block horizontally and I am applying a force of 30N.

How I can calculate whether with this Force body moves?

Cheers

Abraham

Physics news on Phys.org
If you use 30N of force to move the block at constant velocity, there is friction between the table and the block that is the cause of necessary force. If you must apply 30N to make it move in the first place, some of that force is used to accelerate the block. Hard to say what the acceleration is until the block moves at constant velocity. Also hard to calculate this as both acceleration and friction are unknown.

Vidar

Hi,
If I take coificient of friction as 0.4 for wood table.
But I am not getting acceleration figure.I just want to move it from rest
and use a force by pushing it with hand.

abrahamjp said:
Hi,
If I take coificient of friction as 0.4 for wood table.
But I am not getting acceleration figure.I just want to move it from rest
and use a force by pushing it with hand.
Use the coefficient of friction to calculate the maximum value of static friction. That will tell you if your 30 N force is sufficient to get it moving.

So friction helps in movement,right?If my block would have been in free space compared to resting on a table with 0.4cof-->pulling force reuired is 0.4 times less than that in free space.

Friction acts to retard movement. If friction acted otherwise, nothing could ever stay still.

right.Friction in free space is ZERO,I was thinking it is 1.

Instead of friction, perhaps you were thinking of sliction.

lol. As Doc Al was saying, you can calculate the max friction force, using the coefficient of friction and the normal force (weight, in this case). This max friction force is the minimum pulling force to cause movement of the block, because the friction force will take whatever value is necessary to stop movement. (until its max value is reached, in which case it will still oppose movement, but will not be enough to stop movement from happening). In free space, there is no friction, so the minimum pulling force is zero (as you would expect).

What is the formula for calculating force to move a block horizontally?

The formula for calculating force to move a block horizontally is force = mass x acceleration. This is also known as Newton's second law of motion.

How do you determine the mass of the block?

The mass of the block can be determined by using a scale or balance to measure its weight in kilograms. If the mass is not provided, it can also be calculated by dividing the weight of the block in Newtons by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s^2).

What is the appropriate unit of measurement for force?

The appropriate unit of measurement for force is Newtons (N). This is the standard unit of force in the International System of Units (SI).

How do you calculate the acceleration of the block?

The acceleration of the block can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it takes to change. This can be found using the equation acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time.

What factors can affect the amount of force needed to move a block horizontally?

The amount of force needed to move a block horizontally can be affected by the mass of the block, the coefficient of friction between the block and the surface it is on, and the applied force or acceleration. Other factors such as air resistance and surface conditions can also play a role.