What Is the Constant Solution to the Given Differential Equation?

• Thread starter ssb
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation with one constant solution. The conversation includes tips and suggestions for solving the equation by separating variables and using algebraic rules involving exponents and logarithms. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding the behavior of constant solutions and the fact that the equation does not need to be solved in order to answer the question at hand. The conversation concludes with a student struggling to apply the given advice and expressing difficulty with the concept of solving a differential equation with two variables.
ssb

Homework Statement

Consider the following differential equation
y' = t*ln(y^(2t))+t^2

There is one constant solution to this problem. Find it
Basically I have to get y' and all other y on the left, and leave all the t's on the right.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Its just algebra but I can't remember all the rules with e and ln.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
remember:

ln(a^b) = b*ln(a)

what does that allow you to do?

Luckily, you don't have to solve this equation to answer the question. If y is a constant solution what can you say about y'?

ChaoticLlama Thanks for that tip. I had forgotten that one. I went on using your tip and I came across this when I separated the equations:

1/ln(y) dy = 2t^2 + t dt

First off I am not sure how to integrate 1/ln(y)

-----------------------------

Dick, if y' has a constant solution, then y at a given point has a constant solution? are you suggesting that I don't have to solve one side for y and I can just plug in the numbers or something? confused

Thanks for the help guys!

Well, you didn't separate the equation correctly. So I wouldn't worry about integrating 1/ln(y). I was trying to get you to realize that if y is a constant solution then y'=0. The trouble with this is that the equation as written doesn't seem to have any constant solutions. As you sure you transcribed it correctly??

Are you sure that you typed out the DE correctly? Is it

[tex]y^\prime = t\ln \left(y^{2t}\right) + t, \ \mbox{or } \ y^\prime = t(\ln \left(y^{2t}\right) + t)?[/tex]

The first one (which is what's in your first post) does not have a constant solution at all. The second one does.

With regard to Dick's suggestion, think about it: If y is constant, then what's dy/dt?

Dick said:
Well, you didn't separate the equation correctly. So I wouldn't worry about integrating 1/ln(y). I was trying to get you to realize that if y is a constant solution then y'=0. The trouble with this is that the equation as written doesn't seem to have any constant solutions. As you sure you transcribed it correctly??

jesus your right. I am such an idiot. i even double checked it and triple checked it too... the last T has is squared

y' = t*ln(y^(2t))+t^2

I feel so stupid

Okay, that's the second one I posted up there. So use Dick's suggestion and solve the resulting eq. :smile:

ssb said:
jesus your right. I am such an idiot. i even double checked it and triple checked it too... the last T has is squared

y' = t*ln(y^(2t))+t^2

I feel so stupid

Happens to the best of us. Now it has a constant solution. Can you find it?

[tex]\ y^\prime = t \ln \left(y^{2t}\right) + t^2[/tex]

[tex]\ y^\prime = t * (2t) \ln \left(y) +t^2[/tex]

[tex]\ 1/\ln \left(y) y^\prime = t (2t) + t^2 [/tex]

[tex]\ 1/\ln \left(y) y^\prime = 3t^2 [/tex]

[tex]\ \int 1 / ln (y) (y^\prime) = \int 3t^2 [/tex]

[tex]\ \int 1 / ln (y) (dy) = \int 3t^2 dt[/tex]

[tex]\ ? = t^3 + C [/tex]With your clues that you were giving me on the fact that y was constant, i thought that you meant that

[tex]\ 0 = t^3 + C [/tex]

but I think I am going the wrong way with this

Last edited:
I'll repeat again: If y is constant, then what's y' = dy/dt (remember, intuitively dy/dt is the rate of change of y with respect to t)?

Data said:
I'll repeat again: If y is constant, then what's y' = dy/dt (remember, intuitively dy/dt is the rate of change of y with respect to t)?

It would be zero. Give me a minute to think about this one... i know the significance should probably be smacking me in the face right about now. All I can think is that the derivative of a constant is zero so part of my equation should equal zero?

In post 10 I am trying to show my steps because I am just not getting it and I am sorry. Calculus is really killing me this quarter.

ssb said:
It would be zero. Give me a minute to think about this one... i know the significance should probably be smacking me in the face right about now. All I can think is that the derivative of a constant is zero so part of my equation should equal zero?
Since your equation is y'= f(x) the whole equation should be 0! If y(t) is a constant function then
y'(t)= t*ln(y^(2t))+t^2= 0. Now solve for y (remember that it should NOT depend on t because it is a constant). (Of course, the fact that [itex]ln(y^{2t})= 2t ln(y)[/itex] is useful!)

ssb said:
[tex]\ y^\prime = t \ln \left(y^{2t}\right) + t^2[/tex]

[tex]\ y^\prime = t * (2t) \ln \left(y) +t^2[/tex]

[tex]\ 1/\ln \left(y) y^\prime = t (2t) + t^2 [/tex]

[tex]\ 1/\ln \left(y) y^\prime = 3t^2 [/tex]

[tex]\ \int 1 / ln (y) (y^\prime) = \int 3t^2 [/tex]

[tex]\ \int 1 / ln (y) (dy) = \int 3t^2 dt[/tex]

[tex]\ ? = t^3 + C [/tex]

With your clues that you were giving me on the fact that y was constant, i thought that you meant that

[tex]\ 0 = t^3 + C [/tex]

but I think I am going the wrong way with this

You can't separate the variables in that equation unless you make an algebraic mistake. Which you did. Then other mistakes ensue. I don't know why you won't believe the advice you've been given repeatedly that you don't have to solve a differential equation.

Dick said:
You can't separate the variables in that equation unless you make an algebraic mistake. Which you did. Then other mistakes ensue. I don't know why you won't believe the advice you've been given repeatedly that you don't have to solve a differential equation.

Im sorry. I just don't understand the advice i guess. I have yet to successfully solve one of these problems for my class. I am used to single variable calculus and this is the first time I've ever seen 2 variables in a math problem such as this. its the first week of class and the teacher expects us to already know how to do this kind of stuff. Last quarter we didnt cover these in any of our topics.

Maybe do you know of a good website that shows example problems worked out step by step so I can see what's expected to be done? I've searched google and wikipedia and cannot find any good examples.

All i know is that he's looking for a "Constant solution" to this problem. I don't know if the solution will contain just numbers, y, t, or a combination of the 3. To be quite honest I am not even sure what form to put such an answer in. sorry.

The equation is
[tex]y'=t\,\ln(y^{2t})+t^2[/tex]
and the question states that it is separable. Can someone help me separate it and let me see if I can get it from there? Thanks

Last edited:
ssb said:
All i know is that he's looking for a "Constant solution" to this problem. I don't know if the solution will contain just numbers, y, t, or a combination of the 3. To be quite honest I am not even sure what form to put such an answer in. sorry.

What does constant mean? A constant solution should contain only constants.

ssb said:
The equation is
[tex]y'=t\,\ln(y^{2t})+t^2[/tex]
and the question states that it is separable. Can someone help me separate it and let me see if I can get it from there? Thanks

It is separable, but since you are looking for a constant solution, as numerous others have pointed out, this is not the way to go about this problem.

I told you before, if y is a constant then its derivative is 0 so you have y'(t)= t*ln(y^(2t))+t^2= 0. Solve the equation t*ln(y^(2t))+t^2= 0 for y!

I told you before: if y is a CONSTANT solution, then [itex]y'(t)= t ln(y^{2t})+t^2= 2t^2 ln(y)+ t^2= 0[/itex]. Solve that for y.

1. How do I know which method to use when separating an equation?

To determine which method to use, you must first identify the type of equation you are working with. For linear equations, you can use the distributive property, combining like terms, or isolating the variable on one side. For quadratic equations, you can use factoring, completing the square, or the quadratic formula. Other methods may also be used for more complex equations.

2. What is the purpose of separating an equation?

The purpose of separating an equation is to isolate the variable on one side and the constants on the other side. This allows you to solve for the variable and find the solution to the equation.

3. Can you explain the steps involved in separating an equation?

The first step is to identify the type of equation and determine which method to use. Then, you will need to apply the chosen method to separate the variable from the constants. This may involve performing operations on both sides of the equation, such as adding, subtracting, multiplying, or dividing. Finally, you will have a simplified equation with the variable isolated on one side, which you can then solve for.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when separating an equation?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid. One is forgetting to apply the same operation to both sides of the equation, which can result in an incorrect solution. Another is not properly distributing or combining like terms, which can lead to errors in the simplified equation. It is important to carefully follow the steps and perform each operation accurately.

5. What should I do if I am unable to separate an equation?

If you are unable to separate an equation using the usual methods, it may be a more complex equation that requires additional techniques. In this case, it can be helpful to consult a math teacher or tutor for guidance. You can also use online resources or a math software program to solve more challenging equations.