Filling holes or gaps in mathematical knowledge.

In summary, the speaker graduated high school with little interest in math, but after a seven-year career, they have returned to school and are currently taking Calculus I. They have struggled with college algebra and trigonometry due to forgetting fundamental concepts. As they work towards a Mechanical Engineering degree, they are worried about their math skills and ask for suggestions on how to improve. The advice given is to focus on learning the fundamentals and incorporate it into their schedule.
mindheavy
I graduated high school nine years ago. The highest math I took then was Algebra II, as I had little interest then. After a seven year career, I was able to go back to school and have made it to Calculus I this semester. I struggled some in college algebra, finding out that there were fundamental things here and there I had either forgotten entirely or just never learned. Trigonometry was a neat semester, but I got a little discouraged again, realizing how much geometry I had forgotten.

Now I'm in Calculus I, and the use of Algebra is ramping back up. I have gotten by OK so far, but every assignment I find myself having to dig out old algebra and even arithmetic books to learn fundamental rules and methods.

This worries me since I'm working towards a Mechanical Engineering degree, which is going to be very math intensive. Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions? Should I try something else or will it get better if I keep returning to basic material to learn something I need to get through what I'm working on currently? I (now) have a true interest in learning mathematics, but it gets discouraging sometimes with how spotted my overall knowledge of it is.

Physics news on Phys.org
just learn the fundamentals that you don't know, it shouldn't take too long.
seriously, what can you do without it?
Cmon, maybe drop some classes this semester so you can focus on mastering the basics... just incorporate it into your schedule

1. How do you identify holes or gaps in mathematical knowledge?

Holes or gaps in mathematical knowledge can be identified through self-assessment or taking a diagnostic test. It is also helpful to review the foundations of math and compare it to your current level of understanding.

2. What are the consequences of having holes or gaps in mathematical knowledge?

Holes or gaps in mathematical knowledge can lead to difficulty in understanding more complex concepts, making mistakes in calculations, and struggling in higher level math courses.

3. How can I fill in the holes or gaps in my mathematical knowledge?

You can fill in the holes or gaps in your mathematical knowledge by reviewing the basic concepts and practicing with various problems. Seeking help from a tutor or taking remedial courses can also be beneficial.

4. Is it possible to fill in all the holes or gaps in mathematical knowledge?

While it may not be possible to fill in every single hole or gap, consistent practice and seeking help when needed can significantly improve your overall understanding of math concepts.

5. What are some effective strategies for filling in holes or gaps in mathematical knowledge?

Effective strategies for filling in holes or gaps in mathematical knowledge include breaking down complex concepts into smaller parts, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, practicing regularly, and using various resources such as textbooks and online tutorials.