What is the probability of males liking or being neutral towards the commercial?

In summary: Then P(A or B)=P(A)+P(B)= 400/2000 + 500/2000 = 0.45In summary, the conversation is about finding probabilities through the general addition rule. The question involves determining the probability of men liking or being neutral towards a commercial. The attempt at a solution involved using the general addition rule and finding the probabilities of A (men liking the commercial) and B (men being neutral towards the commercial). However, the events are exclusive, so the correct answer is simply the sum of A and B, which is (400+500)/2000 = 0.45.
maiad
Finding probabilities through general addition rule

Homework Statement

http://postimg.org/image/q9ztktpot/

Homework Equations

P(A or B)=P(A)+P(B)-P(A and B)
P(A and B)=P(A)P(B)

The Attempt at a Solution

The question is for part b). It said it was only focused on the mens so i ignored all the other numbers.
I used the general addition rule where P(A or B)=P(A)+P(B)-P(A and B). Since these events are independent, i used this equation... P(A and B)=P(A)P(B). I found P(A) from 400/2000= 0.2
I found P(B) from 500/2000=0.25. Then i found P(A and B)=P(A)P(B)=0.05

Now i plugged it into the general addition rule... P(A or B)=0.2+0.25-0.05=0.4 but it was wrong.
What did i do wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The events are not independent, they are exclusive; if a man likes the commercial the probability that he is neutral is zero.

But you do not need probabilty theory to answer (b) anyway - it is a simple percentage question.

Would it just be (400+500)/2000 =0.45?

Last edited:
Yes :)

is it because the two varibles can't overlap because their exclusive so we don't have to account for the everlap so we don't need to use the inclusion-exclusion rule?

maiad said:
is it because the two varibles can't overlap because their exclusive so we don't have to account for the everlap so we don't need to use the inclusion-exclusion rule?

Your question is impossible to answer, since you do not tell us what you mean by A and B, etc.

Let A be the males that like the commercial and B, the male that are neutral towards the commercial

1. What is the definition of probability?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How do you calculate probabilities?

To calculate the probability of an event, you divide the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be expressed as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probabilities?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual data from experiments or observations.

4. What are some common types of probability distributions?

Some common types of probability distributions include normal distribution, binomial distribution, and Poisson distribution. These distributions are used to model the probability of different outcomes in various situations.

5. How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in many real-life situations, such as predicting the weather, analyzing stock market trends, and making decisions in fields like medicine and economics. It helps us understand the likelihood of certain events occurring and make informed decisions based on that information.