Solve the complex analysis problem

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving complex numbers and the correct way to manipulate fractions containing them. Susskind explains that the expression cannot be split up among its denominator and suggests expanding it with its complex conjugate to make the denominator real-valued. They also recommend reading about the basics of complex numbers on Wikipedia.
chwala
Gold Member
The problem is attached

regards,

chwala ken

Attachments

• complex analysis problem.doc
    253 KB · Views: 259
Physics news on Phys.org
Nope dude, that's incorrect. x and y are wrong. Try forming a real-valued denominator and then check again what x and y are.

i do not get it ? A complex number has a Real part and an Imaginary part. The idea is to breakdown the expression in the form x+iy so i do not understand why you are talking of real valued denominator. Kindly expound by looking at the problem and check where i went wrong.

Suppose z=1/(a+i*b)
Then z not equal to 1/a + i*1/b
Why? Basic fraction calculus. You cannot "split up" a fraction among its denominator, which is what you're intending. You can split it up among the nominator though, so you should make the denominator real-valued by expanding with its complex conjugate, that is
z=(a-i*b)/((a+i*b)*(a-i*b))=(a-i*b)/(a^2+b^2)
so your final expression would be
a/(a^2+b^2)-i*b/(a^2+b^2)

If you don't understand the above, my advice would be to real a bit about basics of complex numbers on wikipedia (no offense)

Ha..,Thanks Susskind for the insight.

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It involves the analysis of complex valued functions, their derivatives and integrals, and the properties of these functions.

2. What are the applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has various applications in physics, engineering, and other branches of mathematics. It is used to study physical systems that involve complex numbers, such as electrical circuits and fluid dynamics. It also has applications in signal processing, image processing, and quantum mechanics.

3. How do you solve a complex analysis problem?

To solve a complex analysis problem, you first need to understand the properties of complex numbers, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Then, you can use the techniques of differentiation and integration to manipulate complex functions and solve for unknown variables.

4. What are some common techniques used in complex analysis?

Some common techniques used in complex analysis include the Cauchy-Riemann equations, the residue theorem, and the Cauchy integral formula. These techniques are used to evaluate complex integrals, find singularities, and solve differential equations involving complex functions.

5. What are some challenges in solving complex analysis problems?

Solving complex analysis problems can be challenging due to the complexity of the functions involved and the need to work with both real and imaginary parts. Additionally, finding the correct path of integration and dealing with singularities can also pose challenges. Practice and a thorough understanding of the concepts are key to overcoming these challenges.