Difference between a BS and a BA

• Thread starter BioBen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, the difference between a BA and BS at UT Austin is that the BS is more geared towards research and may require more math and science courses. If you are interested in pursuing a PhD in physics, it would be beneficial to apply for the BS degree. However, the actual degree you receive may depend on the specific college or department you are in at the university. Ultimately, it is important to focus on the courses you take and recommendations from professors rather than the exact initials of your bachelor's degree.
BioBen
Hi,
may you pliz tell me the difference between a BA and a BS in the USA (UT Austin) ?
I was told that the BS was more "pre-professionnal" and that a BS was more for research, but is there a real difference.

I'd like to become a phd in physics, so should i apply for a BS or a BA in Physics (if there is a difference lol) ?

Thanks,
Benjamin

Physics news on Phys.org
BioBen said:
Hi,
may you pliz tell me the difference between a BA and a BS in the USA (UT Austin) ?

If UT Austin offers both a BA and a BS in physics, surely they publish the requirements for both degrees on their Web site somewhere.

I'd like to become a phd in physics, so should i apply for a BS or a BA in Physics (if there is a difference lol) ?

I would say that if you have a choice between the two at the same university, then you should probably go for the BS because it will probably require more math and physics courses, which you would surely want to take anyway in order to prepare better for grad school. :smile:

I myself have a BA in physics because the small college that I went to as an undergraduate offered only BA degrees in all fields. But I didn't limit myself to the minimum requirements for that degree! I went on to grad school and got my Ph.D. successfully. I think grad school admissions committees are more interested in what courses you actually took as an undergraduate, and the letters of recommendation that you get from your professors, than in the precise initials that accompany your bachelor's degree.

on university catalog, it says that if you want to get graduate degree, you should go for BS

I'm not sure about the distinction between BA and BS in my case either.

For example, I am in the College of Letters and Science (school divides into clusters, such as a college for engineering, chemistry, etc.) and that is where the Mathematics major falls under.

Regardless whether you do pure math (which is a more theoretically based curriculum opposed to applied math) or applied math, you will only get a BA. There is no option for BS (thats limited for the engineers and alike), so I'm not sure how they distribute it, or what the concept behind the distribution is.

I say, if you can, go for the BS (just because it actually pertains to what you do). Can't hurt.

1. What is the main difference between a BS and a BA degree?

The main difference between a BS (Bachelor of Science) and a BA (Bachelor of Arts) degree is the focus of the coursework. A BS degree typically requires more courses in the sciences and mathematics, while a BA degree usually requires more courses in the humanities and social sciences.

2. Can you get the same job with a BS or a BA degree?

Yes, in many cases, a BS and a BA degree can lead to the same job opportunities. However, some employers may have a preference for one degree over the other based on the specific skills and knowledge required for the job.

3. Is one degree more valuable than the other?

Both a BS and a BA degree hold value and can lead to successful careers. The value of a degree depends on the individual's career goals, the reputation of the institution, and the skills and experiences gained during the program.

4. Can you switch from a BS to a BA degree or vice versa?

It is possible to switch from a BS to a BA degree or vice versa, but it may require additional coursework or time to complete the new degree requirements. It is important to consult with an academic advisor before making any changes to your degree program.

5. Which degree is better for graduate school?

The degree that is better for graduate school depends on the individual's academic and career goals. Some graduate programs may have a preference for one degree over the other, but it is ultimately up to the individual to choose the degree that aligns with their interests and future plans.