Finish the ME program (BS) or switch to a BA in mathematics?

In summary: I think that your concerns are unfounded and that the admissions committee will see that you are genuinely interested in studying mathematics and that it is a good match for your skills.
SpartanDJT
So you I've screwed up in Mechanical engineering courses due to a combination of personal reasons and some tough professors. I have discovered that it is possible to finish a BA in mathematics in the same time frame as the Mechanical engineering BS degree, only one semester + the summer. I've already finished my physics degree (BS).

(I'd like to make it clear that I mostly blame the poor performance on the "personal reasons" but I mention tough professors/tests because although I believe it to be a factor, I'd like to know whether that is something acceptable to mention in applications.)

-The thing is I've already completed most of the engineering program, as I said with only the spring semester and summer left. With the engineering program my gpa has decreased from a 3.87 to a 3.64.

-Also I know that I would perform much better in the mathematics program.
-My physics degree is already finished
-Also, I am going to apply to graduate school for a physics graduate program

So with this information I would like to ask for some insight and opinions on these things:

1) Is it common to apply to graduate school with a BA and not a BS in some area?
2) Regardless, would having a mathematics BA be more advantageous to me in applying to graduate school for physics than would a BS in mechanical engineering.
3) Will my change in degree from eng to mathematics at the last minute of the eng program set off some alarms? Like, for instance, will admissions not believe in the merit and credibility of the physics and mathematics programs at my university (which I have done extremely well in) because of my very poor performance in the eng program (the other half of my total course work).
4) Should I address my change of major (at the tail end of the program) in applications. I would probably say that personal reasons + a loss of interest + some tough professors were the reason for the poor performance, which is the truth. And that a realization that a mathematics degree fits better into my career is what influenced my decision.
5) So again, is switching the Engineering BS for a mathematics BA the right call, especially in terms of whether it hurts or helps me in graduate school admissions for physics graduate programs? Although honestly I've lost interest in the engineering programs, this is what must determine the decision for me.

Thank you very much

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think therw will always be some 'tough professors'. Personally I would not mention that. Take ownership of how you performed and why you want to switch. You have a Physics BS, and you want to now apply for graduate school Physics correct?

First of all, I agree with scottdave, do not mention your "tough professors" in your application. However tough your professors are, chances are you'll see tougher ones in grad school.

What do you want to study in graduate school? If you want to study string theory, a math BA might be more helpful. If you want to study, e.g., the mechanics of 2D materials, then the mech eng might be more useful.

SpartanDJT said:
I would probably say that personal reasons + a loss of interest + some tough professors were the reason for the poor performance

Some combination of those reasons is why everyone who has changed their major has done so. And, though I've never been on an admissions committee, they will likely assume that your major change is due to some superposition of those as well, so I'd leave it out.

Also, my transcript notes that I dropped a mathematics major in my second-to-last semester (when I found out that a "required" course was not being offered), but I neither mentioned it on my application nor was questioned on it. I can only assume that they consider the courses you have taken, how you performed, and your research abilities much more than whatever piece of paper you will have after graduating.

Likes scottdave
scottdave said:
I think therw will always be some 'tough professors'. Personally I would not mention that. Take ownership of how you performed and why you want to switch. You have a Physics BS, and you want to now apply for graduate school Physics correct?

Yes that's correct

Dishsoap said:
Also, my transcript notes that I dropped a mathematics major in my second-to-last semester (when I found out that a "required" course was not being offered), but I neither mentioned it on my application nor was questioned on it. I can only assume that they consider the courses you have taken, how you performed, and your research abilities much more than whatever piece of paper you will have after graduating.

One of my major concerns is that switching to mathematics "looks bad". It seems from the quote that you disagree, that no one really cares? If that's the case then considering I'm more interested in the mathematics courses, it's a no brainier to switch to math.

SpartanDJT said:
One of my major concerns is that switching to mathematics "looks bad".

You seem to think the committee knows this. Why do you think this? Your transcript has your degree, the courses you took, and your grades. That's it.

Vanadium 50 said:
You seem to think the committee knows this. Why do you think this? Your transcript has your degree, the courses you took, and your grades. That's it.

Really? At least on my undergrad transcript, it shows when I added, dropped, or changed sequences/majors.

Really? Either I have never seen this, or it's been in on the other side of the paper. :)

Likes CalcNerd
I would suggest you think carefully about your decision to give up an ME for a Math degree. Why? Speaking about myself, I was a part-time student with a full time job, working for a BS in Electrical. I was a little over a year from graduating, not because of only needing 9 credits to graduate, but needing a specific nine credits and the classes only available to me a single course at a time. So when my company shutdown half of its offices and I was a designer with the least seniority in my office, when cuts were made, I was out on the street, so to speak.
What did I do? Well, my program wouldn't let me accelerate those classes, they weren't offered. But my school would let me get a BA in Mathematics by finishing three classes that I could wrap up in a single semester, which I did.
Well what can happen? Depends. If you know you are through with Mech engineering, not really a big deal. But if you want to pursue mechanical engineering in the future and/or want the option to return to engineering, there are consequences. At least there were the following consequences of that shortcut for me. I am a practicing EE with a PE, but it is never easy for me to get a license in any state that I apply (I have never been denied, but I have been delayed for nearly a year in some jurisdictions). In fact, after you graduate with a BA, you might not even get the opportunity to take the exam (I often think I was only allowed to sit for the exam because the board felt I would fail badly and quit, AND I wasn't assured a second chance to take an exam vs an engineering graduate gets three chances by most boards until they re-review an application). I have also had my transcripts and education reviewed by the NCEES (at my expense) to prove my educational background is equal to a BS in EE for licensure in DC, something that if I had been patient enough to get, would not be an issue.
However, Licensure isn't a requirement for employment for most of the engineering jobs available, but it can offer you an edge or can be a requirement for engineers in the construction industry. I suspect you are not focusing your career in that area. But it is something you are giving up by not getting that BS in Mech Eng.

1. What is the difference between a BS and a BA in mathematics?

A BS (Bachelor of Science) in mathematics is focused on the application of mathematical principles and theories, while a BA (Bachelor of Arts) in mathematics is more focused on the theoretical and abstract aspects of mathematics. Additionally, a BS typically requires more advanced coursework in math and science, while a BA may allow for more electives in other subjects.

2. Will completing a BS in mathematics give me an advantage over a BA in terms of job opportunities?

It depends on the specific job you are interested in. Some employers may prefer a candidate with a BS due to their technical and analytical skills, while others may value the critical thinking and problem-solving abilities developed through a BA in mathematics. It is important to research the specific job requirements and determine which degree aligns better with your career goals.

3. Can I switch from a BS to a BA in mathematics or vice versa?

Yes, it is possible to switch from a BS to a BA or vice versa, depending on your university's policies and the specific requirements for each degree. It may require completing additional coursework or meeting certain GPA requirements. It is best to consult with your academic advisor to determine the best course of action.

4. Will switching to a BA in mathematics affect my graduation timeline?

It may affect your graduation timeline, as the requirements for a BA may be different from a BS. However, if you plan ahead and work closely with your academic advisor, you may be able to make a smooth transition without delaying your graduation.

5. How will switching to a BA in mathematics impact my future career prospects?

The impact on your future career prospects will depend on the specific job you are interested in and the skills and knowledge you acquire through your degree program. It is important to research the job market and determine which degree will best align with your career goals and help you develop the necessary skills for success.