What Temperature Equals Hydrogen's RMS Velocity to Oxygen's at 300K?

• Thread starter mit_hacker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the discussion is about comparing the mass and root-mean-square speed of hydrogen and oxygen molecules. The root-mean-square speed of a hydrogen molecule is equal to that of an oxygen molecule at a gas temperature of approximately 18.75 K, which is the nearest integer to the correct answer of 19 K. The equation used to calculate this is v = sqrt(3kT/m) where k is Boltzmann's constant.
mit_hacker

Homework Statement

(Q) Hydrogen molecules have a mass of 2u and oxygen molecules have a mass of 32u, where u is defined as an atomic mass unit (u = 1.660540 \times 10^{-27}\; {\rm kg}). Compare a gas of hydrogen molecules to a gas of oxygen molecules.

At what gas temperature T_rms would the root-mean-square (rms) speed of a hydrogen molecule be equal to that of an oxygen molecule in a gas at 300 K?
State your answer numerically, in kelvins, to the nearest integer.

Homework Equations

v = sqrt(3kT/m) where k is Boltzmann's constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above equation gives that Temperature is 300/16 = 18.75K. I know that this is a crazy answer but please don't laugh:frown:

What's wrong with my solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll promise not to laugh if you will tell me why 18.75 K is a "crazy answer"!

Because...

Thats almost close to absolute 0 and when i fed the answer in, it said "not quite" which I rake to be a euphemism for "this is nonsense!"

the question requests the "the nearest integer" your result is correct, but I think the anwser should be 19

Your solution is incorrect because you have used the wrong formula. The correct equation for root-mean-square velocity is v_rms = sqrt(3RT/M), where R is the gas constant and M is the molar mass of the gas. Using this formula, we can calculate the temperature at which the rms speed of a hydrogen molecule is equal to that of an oxygen molecule at 300 K.

First, we need to calculate the molar mass of hydrogen and oxygen molecules. Since 1 mole of any gas contains Avogadro's number of particles, the molar mass of a gas is equal to its molecular mass in grams. Therefore, the molar mass of hydrogen is 2 g/mol and the molar mass of oxygen is 32 g/mol.

Now, we can plug these values into the formula and set the rms velocities equal to each other:

sqrt(3RT_h2/2) = sqrt(3RT_o2/32)

Simplifying and rearranging gives:

sqrt(RT_h2) = sqrt(RT_o2/16)

Squaring both sides gives:

RT_h2 = RT_o2/16

Substituting in the values for R and the molar masses, we get:

(8.314 J/mol*K)(T_h2/2) = (8.314 J/mol*K)(300 K/16)

Solving for T_h2 gives:

T_h2 = 300/8 = 37.5 K

Therefore, the temperature at which the rms velocity of a hydrogen molecule is equal to that of an oxygen molecule at 300 K is 37.5 K. This is significantly higher than your initial answer of 18.75 K, which shows the importance of using the correct formula and units in scientific calculations.

1. What is root-mean-square velocity?

Root-mean-square velocity, also known as RMS velocity, is a measure of the average velocity of particles in a gas or liquid. It takes into account the speed of particles at different velocities, giving a more accurate representation of the overall velocity of the system.

2. How is root-mean-square velocity calculated?

To calculate root-mean-square velocity, you take the square root of the average of the squared velocities of all particles in the system. This can be represented by the equation RMS = √[(v1² + v2² + ... + vn²)/n], where v1, v2, ... vn represent the velocities of individual particles and n is the total number of particles.

3. What is the significance of root-mean-square velocity in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, root-mean-square velocity is used to calculate the average kinetic energy of particles in a gas or liquid. This is important because it helps determine the temperature of the system, as temperature is directly proportional to the average kinetic energy of particles.

4. How does temperature affect root-mean-square velocity?

As temperature increases, the root-mean-square velocity of particles also increases. This is because higher temperatures result in higher kinetic energy of particles, causing them to move faster. Similarly, a decrease in temperature will result in a decrease in root-mean-square velocity.

5. Can root-mean-square velocity be used to measure the speed of individual particles?

No, root-mean-square velocity only gives an average value for the velocities of all particles in a system. It cannot be used to determine the speed of individual particles. To measure the speed of individual particles, other techniques such as velocity distribution analysis or particle tracking methods are used.