Temperature required for new rms speed

Vrms = √(3RT/M)Where M is the molar mass or molecular weight. In case of Helium it is 4.002602 g/mol.In summary, to find the temperature at which helium gas molecules have an rms speed of 733 m/s, we can use the formula Vrms = √(3RT/M), where M is the molar mass of helium. Solving for T, we get T = (P*V)/(n*R), where R is a constant and n is the quantity of material. Using the molar mass of helium, we can calculate the temperature to be 5.187e25 K.
rubenhero

Homework Statement

c) Find T, the temperature at which He gas molecules have an rms speed of v = 733 m/s.

Homework Equations

Vrms = √(3kT/m)

The Attempt at a Solution

(Vrms2m)/3k = T
(7332*.004kg)/(3*1.381e-23J/k) = T
5.187e25k = T

Any help with figuring out what I did wrong is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is not 'm' the mass of one MOELECULE of hydrogen?

You could use the following to solve if you are given the quantity of material (n):

P*V=n*R*T <=> T=(P*V)/(n*R)

For R is a constant: R=8.31

Thank you grzz and mtayab1994 for responding. It would be easier if the problem did provide n to use PV = nRT. I am confused, should I be using .008 kg for the mass because helium gas has 2 atoms?

rubenhero said:
Thank you grzz and mtayab1994 for responding. It would be easier if the problem did provide n to use PV = nRT. I am confused, should I be using .008 kg for the mass because helium gas has 2 atoms?

no you are fine with using .004kg

Last edited:
By the way you can use the following as well
ee2357aaf50f4db86dac6622e7f8cc02.png

Related to Temperature required for new rms speed

1. What is the meaning of "rms speed"?

RMS speed stands for root-mean-square speed, which is the measure of the average speed of particles in a gas or liquid. It takes into account the velocities of all the particles in the system and calculates the square root of the average of their squared speeds.

2. How is the temperature related to the rms speed?

The temperature of a gas or liquid is directly proportional to the rms speed of its particles. As the temperature increases, the particles gain more kinetic energy and their speeds increase, resulting in a higher rms speed.

3. What is the formula for calculating the rms speed?

The formula for calculating the rms speed is: vrms = √(3RT/M), where R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and M is the molar mass of the gas or liquid.

4. Why is the rms speed useful in thermodynamics?

The rms speed is useful in thermodynamics because it helps determine the kinetic energy and pressure of a gas or liquid, which are important parameters in many thermodynamic equations and calculations.

5. How does the rms speed differ from the average speed?

The rms speed takes into account the speed of all particles in a system, while the average speed only considers the average of all the speeds. This means that the rms speed is a more accurate representation of the overall speed of particles in a gas or liquid.