Binomial theorem for fractional exponents?

In summary, the binomial theorem can be used for fractional exponents to expand binomials. It can also be used to approximate square roots and can be applied to any value of a, including values in the form of 1/m where m is an integer. However, this method may be more tedious and time-consuming for non-integer values of a.
Juan Pablo
I am curious, is there any way to use the binomial theorem for fractional exponents? Is there any other way to expand a binomial with a fractional exponent?
I suppose Newton's theorem is not a way since it requires factorials.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You'd work it out in the same basic way. But just that you'd have an infinite number of terms

nC1=n!/(n-1)!1!

and n!=n(n-1)!

so nC1 simplifies to n

Similarly

nC2=n!/(n-2)!2!

[tex]=\frac{n(n-1)(n-2)!}{(n-2)!2!}=\frac{n(n-1)}{2!}[/tex]

and so forth for nC3,nC4,etc

Approximating square roots

One use, or was so before calculators, is to approximate certain square roots. Take this case,

[tex]\sqrt{1+a^2} = a +\frac{1}{2a}-\frac{1}{8a^3} +-+[/tex]

In the case of [tex]\sqrt{101} = 10 + 1/20-1/8000 + -[/tex]

This is just a little less that 10.05 and can be easily carried out.

Last edited:
I also wish to know, is there any way that I can expand the general

(1+x)^(1/2) = Polynomial_function(x) ??

(1+x)^(n) easily works out for n>0, n<0,n=0...but what about for n = 1/m form ??
m is an Integer.

Surajit93 said:
I also wish to know, is there any way that I can expand the general

(1+x)^(1/2) = Polynomial_function(x) ??

(1+x)^(n) easily works out for n>0, n<0,n=0...but what about for n = 1/m form ??
m is an Integer.

[tex](1+x)^{a}=1+ax+a(a-1)\,\frac{x^{2}}{2!}+a(a-1)(a-2)\,\frac{x^{3}}{3!}+... [/tex]

This works for integer and non integer "a". So a=1/m is no problems.

1. What is the Binomial Theorem for fractional exponents?

The Binomial Theorem for fractional exponents is a mathematical formula used to expand binomial expressions with fractional or rational exponents. It is an extension of the traditional Binomial Theorem, which is used for expanding binomials with integer exponents.

2. How is the Binomial Theorem for fractional exponents derived?

The Binomial Theorem for fractional exponents is derived using the concept of the Binomial Coefficient, which is a mathematical term used to represent the number of ways a particular subset of objects can be selected from a larger set. The Binomial Coefficient is then used to create a general formula for expanding binomials with fractional exponents.

3. What is the significance of the Binomial Theorem for fractional exponents?

The Binomial Theorem for fractional exponents is significant because it allows for the expansion of binomials with non-integer exponents, which is a common occurrence in many mathematical and scientific applications. It also provides a systematic way to handle complex algebraic expressions involving fractional exponents.

4. What are some real-life applications of the Binomial Theorem for fractional exponents?

The Binomial Theorem for fractional exponents is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve problems involving power laws, such as radioactive decay, population growth, and compound interest. It is also used in probability and statistics to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes in experiments or games.

5. Are there any limitations to the Binomial Theorem for fractional exponents?

Yes, the Binomial Theorem for fractional exponents can only be used for expanding binomials with rational or fractional exponents. It cannot be used for expanding binomials with irrational or complex exponents. Additionally, it is only applicable to binomials, not polynomials with more than two terms.