Understanding the Evolution of Binomial Coefficient Notation: Old vs. New

In summary, there are multiple notations for the binomial coefficient, with older textbooks using a format of C(n,k) and newer ones using ##\binom{n}{k}##. It is up to the author's preference which notation to use. Other notations such as ##nCk## and C^n_k may also be used.
YoungPhysicist
Insights Author
I am learning binomial theorem now on my long journey to calculus. I noticed that in older textbooks, the binomial coefficient looks like

C(n on top,k on bottom)
I don’t think that I can display it here

and in newer ones,they look like
##\binom{n}{k}##

is the old notation outdated?or this is just author problems and has nothing to do with old books and new books?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Young physicist said:
C(n on top,k on bottom)
I don’t think that I can display it here

You mean ##C^n_k##? That's just C^n_k, C superscript n, subscript k.

The notation I learned and tend to use most often is ##nCk##, especially in expressions like card-counting problems (Ex: what is the probability of drawing 5 cards consisting of 3 diamonds and 2 hearts from a standard deck of cards?). Expressions made of multiple binomial coefficients in other words.

I've also seen ##C(n,k)## fairly often. I think that is often used in elementary classes such as high-school algebra.

Latex seems to lean towards ##\binom{n}{k}##.

RPinPA said:
You mean ##C^n_k##
That don’t actually look like the actual one.I am awared of the sup/subscript method you just mention,but still a viable way.

1. What is a binomial coefficient problem?

A binomial coefficient problem is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the number of ways to choose a certain number of items from a larger set. It is also known as a "combination problem" because it focuses on the combinations, or ways in which items can be grouped together.

2. How do you calculate binomial coefficients?

Binomial coefficients can be calculated using the formula n! / (k! * (n-k)!), where n is the total number of items and k is the number of items being chosen. Alternatively, they can be found using a table or Pascal's triangle.

3. What is the significance of binomial coefficients?

Binomial coefficients have many applications in mathematics, including in probability, statistics, and combinatorics. They also have practical applications in fields such as computer science, physics, and engineering.

4. Can you give an example of a binomial coefficient problem?

One example of a binomial coefficient problem is: "In a group of 10 people, how many ways can we choose a committee of 3 people?" The answer to this problem would be 120, calculated using the formula 10! / (3! * (10-3)!).

5. Are there any special properties of binomial coefficients?

Yes, binomial coefficients have several special properties, including symmetry (n choose k is equal to n choose (n-k)), the fact that they always produce whole numbers, and their connection to Pascal's triangle. They also follow a specific pattern, known as Pascal's rule, when expanded.