Calculate charge on a body(in Coulombs)

In summary, the problem involves adding 7.1*10^12 electrons to a body with a negative charge of 0.2uC. After calculations, the final charge on the body is 1.337 uC. However, after realizing a mistake in the formula, the correct calculation is 0.937 uC. Further information states that 1C is equal to 6.24*10^18 electrons. After correcting the negative sign, the final result is -1.337 uC. The problem has been resolved and the user will keep all homework related questions in the appropriate section.
HurricaneJesus
All right i have a simple problem but i just want to verify my results, so any help would be greatly appreciated. The problem is as follows:

7.1* 10^12 electrons are added to a body that already has a negative charge of 0.2uC(the u is micro 10^-6). Calculate the final charge on this body.

Now i have
(7.1* 10^12)(1.602* 10^-19) + (0.2* 10^-6)

which gave me 1.337 uC

is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
whoops, i think it should have been:

(7.1* 10^12)(- 1.602* 10^-19) + (0.2* 10^-6)

which gave me 0.937 uC

now I am lost...please help.

new info, 1C is equal to 6.24* 10^18 electrons

ok, formula should be:

(7.1* 10^12)/(6.24* 10^18) + (0.2*10^-6)

= 1.337 uC which is the same as the first result i got... 0_o
i am going to go with this one.

is this correct?

Check all of your negative signs. The problem states that the body already has a negative charge,

Your magnitude looks right, but the sign is wrong.

[mod hat]
Moving the thread to homework help.
[/mod hat]

Thanks you were right about the sign, it was supposed to be -1.337 uC

Also, sorry about the location of my topic i only put it there because the course i am taking is electrical engineering and there was a section that matched exactly. I just joined the forum and i already know i will be here every day to read up on the info i need. Thanks again for the help, i will keep all homework related problems here.

1. How do I calculate the charge on a body?

To calculate the charge on a body, you need to know two things: the number of electrons or protons on the body and the elementary charge, which is equal to 1.6 x 10^-19 Coulombs. You can then use the formula Q = Ne, where Q is the charge in Coulombs, N is the number of electrons or protons, and e is the elementary charge.

2. What is the unit of measurement for charge?

The unit of measurement for charge is Coulombs, denoted by the symbol "C". It is named after French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb, who first established the laws of electrostatics.

3. Can the charge on a body be negative?

Yes, the charge on a body can be negative. This means that there is an excess of electrons on the body, making it negatively charged. Conversely, a positive charge means there is a deficiency of electrons on the body.

4. How is the charge on a body affected by the distance from another charged body?

The charge on a body is affected by the distance from another charged body through the Coulomb's law. This law states that the force between two charged bodies is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that the closer two charged bodies are, the stronger the force between them.

5. Can the charge on a body change?

Yes, the charge on a body can change. This can happen through various processes such as rubbing two materials together, which can transfer electrons from one body to another, resulting in a change in charge. Additionally, the charge on a body can also change by applying an electric current to it.