General form of an inner product on C^n proof

In summary, the conversation discusses the general form of an inner product on \mathbf{C}^n and how it can be demonstrated. The method involves using the fact that the inner product is sesquilinear and the relationship between linear operators and matrices. It is suggested to define M_{ji}=\langle e_i,e_j\rangle and check that the given formula holds.
andresordonez
Hi, I read that the general form of an inner product on [tex] \mathbf{C}^n [/tex] is:

[tex] \langle \vec{x} , \vec{y} \rangle = \vec{y}^* \mathbf{M} \vec{x} [/tex]

I see that it has what it takes to be an inner product, but it seems quite hard to demonstrate that this is the general form. Is there such a demostration? where?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use the fact that the inner product is sesquilinear (linear in one of the variables and antilinear in the other), and the relationship between linear operators and matrices described here.

Let [tex]e_i[/tex] be the standard basis of [tex]\mathbf{C}^n[/tex].
Define [tex]M_{ji}=\langle e_i,e_j\rangle[/tex] and check that your formula holds.

Thanks.

I can assure you that the general form of an inner product on \mathbf{C}^n is indeed as stated in your question. This form is widely accepted and used in mathematics and physics, and it has been rigorously proven to satisfy all the properties of an inner product. The proof for this can be found in various mathematical texts and journals, such as "Linear Algebra" by David C. Lay and "Inner Product Spaces" by Hilbert and Schmidt. Additionally, there are numerous online resources and lectures available that discuss and demonstrate this general form of an inner product. I recommend consulting with your mathematics or physics professor for further clarification and guidance on the topic.

1. What is the general form of an inner product on C^n?

The general form of an inner product on C^n is given by <x, y> = Σ a_i*b_i* where x = (a_1, a_2,..., a_n) and y = (b_1, b_2, ..., b_n) are vectors in C^n.

2. How is the inner product defined on complex vector spaces?

The inner product on complex vector spaces is defined as a function that takes two vectors and returns a complex number. It satisfies certain properties such as linearity, conjugate symmetry, and positive definiteness.

3. What is the role of the general form of an inner product in linear algebra?

The general form of an inner product plays a crucial role in linear algebra as it allows us to define notions of length, angle, and orthogonality in complex vector spaces. It also helps in defining important concepts such as unitary and Hermitian matrices.

4. How is the general form of an inner product used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the inner product is used to define the concept of quantum states and their evolution. It also plays a crucial role in the formulation of quantum mechanics and in understanding physical quantities such as observables and probabilities.

5. Can the general form of an inner product be extended to other vector spaces?

Yes, the general form of an inner product can be extended to other vector spaces, such as real vector spaces and function spaces. However, in these cases, the inner product may have slightly different properties and interpretations compared to the one defined on complex vector spaces.