What is the role of kinetic energy in proton-proton fusion?

In summary: Can you explain a little more? ie. What does it mean and what does it involve?In summary, the main reason for proton-proton fusion not happening is that they both have a +ve charge.
Deepak247
Ive studied how chain reaction of proton-proton powers the stars, I also know that proton-proton fusion will convert firstly one proton to neutron then fuse it with the other proton...my question is...

Is the main reason for them not being fused is that they both have +ve charge?

Physics news on Phys.org
The fusion reaction is not quite as you described it. The input is 2 protons and the output is deuteron + positron + neutrino + energy. There is no intermediate step involving a proton becoming neutron + positron.

The first nucleosynthesis taking place after Big Bang was p+n -> d + gamma, but in the proton-proton chain I think the first reaction is (contrary to what you are writing) p+p -> 2He + something (as is hinted by mathman in this thread).

Here is what i mean as the "FIRST STEP", forgive my English though:-

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/astro/procyc.html#c1What I'm trying to say is what if somehow hypothetically i give a hypothetical charge 'X' to one proton, now would it fuse with the positive one?(such that the reason of proton-proton not fusing together is their +ve charge)

Deepak247 said:
Here is what i mean as the "FIRST STEP", forgive my English though:-

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/astro/procyc.html#c1

What I'm trying to say is what if somehow hypothetically i give a hypothetical charge 'X' to one proton, now would it fuse with the positive one?(such that the reason of proton-proton not fusing together is their +ve charge)
What is 'X'?? In that picture (first step) the two protons fuse into a deuteron plus other stuff.

mathman said:
What is 'X'?? In that picture (first step) the two protons fuse into a deuteron plus other stuff.

Yes, deuteron...of course, that's what i mean(forgive my english at beginning). Let 'X' be any other imaginary charge besides +ve, the point is "whether the reason of proton-proton not being fused is the +ve charge on both of them"...

Deepak247 said:
Yes, deuteron...of course, that's what i mean(forgive my english at beginning). Let 'X' be any other imaginary charge besides +ve, the point is "whether the reason of proton-proton not being fused is the +ve charge on both of them"...
"Let 'X' be any other imaginary charge besides +ve"

I have no idea what you have in mind. In particular what is +ve? Also what do you mean by "imaginary charge"?

mathman said:
I have no idea what you have in mind. In particular what is +ve? Also what do you mean by "imaginary charge"?

Ok...lets make it real simple,

In proton-proton chain reaction, do the two protons do not fuse because of their positive charge? is that the reason a proton and a neutron fuses because of different charge?
Yes or No?

Deepak247 said:

In proton-proton chain reaction, do the two protons do not fuse because of their positive charge? is that the reason a proton and a neutron fuses because of different charge?
Yes or No?

The protons do fuse and the result is as described. I can only repeat the proton does not become a neutron before the reaction - only as part of the process.

mathman said:
The protons do fuse and the result is as described. I can only repeat the proton does not become a neutron before the reaction - only as part of the process.

Thanks for the reply but you forgot to mention about the positive charge prospect i mentioned, Please Please if possible (In yes or no will also do)...

Deepak247 said:

Yes or No?
No, a proton and neutron may readily combine to become a deuteron. The reaction is called 'neutron capture', and it is rather common, and in the process, a gamma ray is emitted.

Deutrons can also experience photodisintegration, a process in which a gamma ray of some energy greater than some threshold, ~2.2 MeV, can cause the deuteron to dissociate into a neutron and proton.

Two protons fuse, but they must have enough kinetic energy to approach each other closely enough to fuse. More often though, they scatter without fusing - otherwise stars would consume hydrogen very rapidly.

See - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/astro/procyc.html
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/astro/solarpp.html

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect/energy/ppchain.html

Astronuc said:
Two protons fuse, but they must have enough kinetic energy to approach each other closely enough to fuse. More often though, they scatter without fusing - otherwise stars would consume hydrogen very rapidly.

Thank you very much for your reply Astronuc...It helped me a lot...
However It made me bother to ask a few more questions(just for the sake of one's knowledge)...Your reply is eagerly awaited...

Q1) How much more "kinetic energy" is needed for p-p to fuse? (I've heard somewhere that if Strong force was 2% more strong they would fuse), but what about the kinetic energy?

Q2) I want to learn more on this "Kinetic Energy" factor which makes fusion between nuclei possible, Is schrodinger equation (for wave function) the right start ?

What is a Proton-Proton chain reaction?

A Proton-Proton chain reaction is a series of nuclear reactions that occur in the core of a star, specifically in stars like our sun, where hydrogen atoms are fused together to form helium atoms. This process releases a tremendous amount of energy in the form of heat and light.

How does the Proton-Proton chain reaction work?

The Proton-Proton chain reaction works by combining four hydrogen nuclei (protons) to form a helium nucleus. This process happens in multiple steps, with each step releasing energy in the form of gamma rays. The energy released in each step is used to power the next step, resulting in a continuous chain reaction.

What is the significance of the Proton-Proton chain reaction?

The Proton-Proton chain reaction is significant because it is the primary source of energy for stars like our sun. Without this reaction, stars would not be able to produce the heat and light necessary to sustain life on Earth.

What are the conditions necessary for a Proton-Proton chain reaction to occur?

The conditions necessary for a Proton-Proton chain reaction to occur include high temperatures (around 15 million degrees Celsius) and high pressures (due to the immense gravitational force in the core of a star). These conditions are necessary to overcome the repulsive force between positively charged protons and fuse them together.

What are the potential dangers of a Proton-Proton chain reaction?

The Proton-Proton chain reaction is a naturally occurring process in stars and is not a danger to us on Earth. However, the energy released in this reaction can be harnessed in nuclear power plants, which can pose potential dangers if not properly managed. The main concern is the release of radioactive materials if there is a malfunction or accident at a nuclear power plant.