The Vector Nature of Newton's Second Law

In summary, a block of mass 2.0kg is placed on a smooth plane inclined at an angle of 15 degrees to the horizontal. The force of gravity acting on the block is 20N. The acceleration of the block down the plane can be found using the equation ma=fgsin theta, where m is the mass, a is the acceleration, and theta is the angle of inclination. Since the plane is smooth, there is no friction present.
thomasrules
A block of mass 2.0kg is placed on a smooth plane, inclined to the horizontal at an angle of 15degrees. The force of gravity, acting straight down on the block, is 20N.
a) What is the acceleration of the block down the plane?

I'm having trouble with this because I know:
Net F=fgcostheta-friction
or fgcostheta-friction=ma=2a

BUT THERE IS NO FRICTION GIVEN NOR A COEFFICIENT OF FRICTION

If anyone knows the answer please share

THanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Of course you don't have a coefficient of friction. A smooth plane implies no friction! Also, the component of the weight acting parallel to the plane is mgsin theta.

Last edited:
Ya I'm a real dumbass I also made a 2 other dumb mistakes...i used fgcostheta instead of fgsintheta...THANKS ANYWAY ! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

1. What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. This law is often represented by the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

2. How does Newton's Second Law relate to vectors?

Newton's Second Law is a vector equation, meaning that it takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the force and acceleration. This is because both force and acceleration are vector quantities, meaning they have both magnitude and direction. The direction of the net force will determine the direction of the acceleration.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight in Newton's Second Law?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. In Newton's Second Law, mass is used to determine the object's resistance to acceleration, while weight may change depending on the strength of the gravitational force at different locations.

4. Can Newton's Second Law be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, Newton's Second Law can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, circular, and rotational motion. It is a fundamental law of physics and is used to explain the motion of objects in various situations.

5. How does Newton's Second Law help us understand the world around us?

Newton's Second Law is essential in helping us understand how forces affect the motion of objects. It allows us to predict the acceleration of an object when a force is applied and to analyze the motion of objects in real-world situations. This law has been used to develop many technologies and has greatly advanced our understanding of the physical world.