Analyzing a Cantilever Beam with Distributed Load and End Load

• Thread starter Parner111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cantilever
In summary, the person is trying to do some work on a cantilever beam. They need help figuring out the UDL and the support reactions. They are also wondering how to start. They think they can work everything else out once they know how to do the UDL.
Parner111
Cantilever Help!

Hi,

I'm trying to do some work on a cantilever beam with UDL and load on the end. Is there anybody who could give me a hand because I am really struggling.

Many thanks

P

Engineering news on Phys.org
What exactly are you wanting help with?

a rectangular beam of width 100mm and depth 200mm and 1.5m long has a 3kN load at the unsupported end and the beam is made of a material weighing 20kN/m^3.

i need to calculate the UDL and the support reactions

Well, this is homework. We do not provide answers. You need to show some kind of an attempt. What have you come up with so far? Have you seen beam diagrams?

sorry i didnt mean it to seem like homework, up to now i have only worked with one dimensional beams and never with 3 dimensional and just wondered how do u start. I think i can work everything else out once i know how i work out the UDL. I need to draw shear force and bending moment diagrams but I am ok with them.

Parner111 said:
I think i can work everything else out once i know how i work out the UDL.

Find the volume of the beam. You are given the weight / m^3.

Parner111 said:
sorry i didnt mean it to seem like homework, up to now i have only worked with one dimensional beams and never with 3 dimensional and just wondered how do u start. I think i can work everything else out once i know how i work out the UDL. I need to draw shear force and bending moment diagrams but I am ok with them.
Determining the distributed load due to the weight is really the only thing you'll use the 3rd dimension for in this case. Like was already mentioned, find the volume of the beam and and then multiply that by your weight per unit volume number. That will give you the total weight. Once you get that, I'd simply use a 2D beam to do the analysis.

1. What is a cantilever?

A cantilever is a structure that is supported at only one end, with the other end projecting outwards. It is often used in construction to create overhangs or balconies.

2. How does a cantilever work?

A cantilever works by distributing the weight and load of the structure over the support at one end. This allows for the other end to remain unsupported and project outwards.

3. What are the advantages of using cantilevers?

Cantilevers offer several advantages, including increased flexibility in design, reduced need for columns or supports, and the ability to create overhangs or balconies without extra support.

4. What materials are commonly used in cantilever construction?

Materials commonly used in cantilever construction include steel, reinforced concrete, and timber. The choice of material depends on the specific project and its load requirements.

5. What are some common applications of cantilevers?

Cantilevers are commonly used in construction for creating overhangs, balconies, and bridges. They are also used in engineering projects such as cranes and diving boards.