How quickly will a can sink in water with a small hole at the bottom?

• Thread starter i_island0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluids
In summary, the conversation discusses the sinking rate of a cylindrical can immersed in water with a small hole at the bottom. The equations used in solving the problem include the velocity of fluid and the relation between area and velocity. The attempted solution includes an equation for calculating the time it takes for the can to sink, but there is a potential error due to not accounting for the pressure inside the can. Further discussion and assistance is requested for solving the problem accurately.
i_island0

Homework Statement

A cylindrical can of height h and base area A is immersed in water to a depth ho and left to sink down. A small hole of area 'a' exists at the bottom of the base of the can. Determine how quickly the can sinks.
http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fluids1wb7.jpg

Homework Equations

http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fluidssolmz5.jpg
Thus, vo = sqrt(2gy)
AV = avo
V: velocity of fluid w.r.t. the container

The Attempt at a Solution

Thus,
dy/dt = (a/A)sqrt(2gy)
or, dy/sqrt(y) = (a/A) sqrt(2g) dt
or, on integrating from ho to h, i get

t = sqrt(2/g)[sqrt(h) - sqrt(ho)]A/a

I am not getting the answer, where did i go wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
In your diagram, y is shown to be the depth of the bottom of the can from the water surface. Have you taken into account that the pressure inside the can will also increase as the water flows in, thus decreasing the rate of water flow inside. Maybe you have, but why don't you just write the justification for your equation?

ah.. thx.. i didn't do that.. i will try to work it out again...

i m not able to do ... can you help me with the solution pls

1. How does a can sink in fluids?

A can sinks in fluids due to the principle of buoyancy, which states that an object will float or sink based on its density compared to the density of the fluid it is submerged in. If the can's density is greater than the fluid's density, it will sink.

2. Why does a can filled with air sink while an empty can floats?

The air inside a can adds to its overall density, making it more likely to sink. When the can is empty, it has a lower density and is therefore more likely to float.

3. How does the shape of the can affect its sinking in fluids?

The shape of the can can affect its sinking in fluids because it can impact the can's overall density. A can with a larger surface area will displace more fluid, making it more likely to float.

4. Are there any factors other than density that can affect a can's sinking in fluids?

Yes, other factors such as the weight and volume of the can, as well as the density and viscosity of the fluid, can also play a role in the can's sinking. Additionally, the presence of any air pockets or particles inside the can can also affect its density and buoyancy.

5. How does the temperature of the fluid affect the sinking of a can?

The temperature of the fluid can affect the sinking of a can because it can impact the fluid's density. As temperature increases, the density of most fluids decreases, making it more likely for the can to float. However, this can vary depending on the specific fluid and its properties.