When Does the Equation Ax=B Have Unique, Multiple, or No Solutions?

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
In summary, the equation Ax=B has a unique solution when A is non-singular (det(A) does not equal zero), infinite solutions when A is rank-deficient and b lies in the column space of A, and no solution when A is rank-deficient and b lies in the left-nullspace of A. The determinant of A, which is the product of its eigenvalues, determines the number of solutions for Ax=b. A rank-deficient matrix with det(A) = 0 would result in either infinite solutions or no solution for the equation.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
i need to remember when does Ax=B has a unique solution, more than one, and no solution?

i think that it has a unique solution when A is non singular i.e when det(A) isn't equal zero (at least that's what's written in my notes).

what about more than one solution, what conditipns should be met for either of A,x or b (also for no solution).

i guess that when A isn't non singular then the equation doesn't have solution but I am not sure, forgot about this.
)-:

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a unique solution if A is full rank, infinite solutions if A is rank-deficient and b lies in the column space (or range) of A, and no solution if A is rank-deficient and b lies in the left-nullspace of A.

The determinant of a matrix is the product of its eigenvalues. A rank-deficient matrix would have some of its eigenvalues equal zero, thus the determinant equals zero. Any matrix A with det(A) = 0 would therefore admit either infinite number of solutions or no solution for Ax = b.

You are correct, the equation Ax=B has a unique solution when A is non-singular, meaning its determinant is not equal to zero. This is because a non-singular matrix is invertible, allowing us to solve for x in the equation Ax=B.

For the equation to have more than one solution, there must be infinitely many solutions. This can occur when the rows of A are linearly dependent, meaning one row can be obtained by multiplying another row by a constant. In this case, there are multiple combinations of x that satisfy the equation.

On the other hand, if the rows of A are linearly independent, meaning no row can be obtained by multiplying another row by a constant, then there will be no solution to the equation. This is because there is no way to obtain B by multiplying A with any combination of x values. In this case, we say the equation is inconsistent and has no solution.

It is important to remember the conditions for a unique, multiple, and no solution in linear algebra, as they are fundamental concepts in solving systems of linear equations. I would suggest reviewing these concepts and practicing with some examples to solidify your understanding.

1. What is LA?

LA stands for "Linear Algebra". It is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces, linear transformations, and systems of linear equations.

2. Why is it important to reexamine basic concepts of LA?

Reexamining basic concepts of LA allows for a deeper understanding of more advanced topics and applications. It also helps to solidify foundational knowledge and identify any gaps in understanding.

3. What are some examples of basic concepts in LA?

Some examples of basic concepts in LA include vectors, matrices, determinants, and systems of linear equations. These concepts are essential for understanding more complex topics such as eigenvalues and eigenvectors, diagonalization, and linear transformations.

4. How can one reexamine basic concepts of LA?

One can reexamine basic concepts of LA by reviewing textbooks, lecture notes, or online resources. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and working through examples to reinforce understanding.

5. Are there any real-world applications of LA?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of LA. It is used in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, economics, and statistics. Some specific applications include image and signal processing, data compression, and computer graphics.