Finding unknown coefficients to give a unique solution in a linear system

In summary, the given system of equations can be analyzed using the elemental transformation $E_2\to E_2-aE_1$ to obtain the cases where $a^2-4=0$ and $a^2-4\ne 0.$ When $a^2-4\ne 0$ or $a\ne \pm 2,$ the system has a unique solution. When $a=2$ and $b=2$ or $a=-2$ and $b=-2,$ the system has more than one solution. In all other cases, the system has no solution.
qybah
Hi can someone please explain how to do this question:
Given two equations;

x-ay= 1

ax-4y=b

For which values of a does each system have a unique solution, and for which pairs of values (a,b) does each system have more than one solution?

All help is greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Using the elemental transformation $E_2\to E_2-aE_1:$
$$\left \{ \begin{matrix} \begin{aligned} &x-ay=1 \\& ax-4y=b\end{aligned}\end{matrix}\right.\sim \left \{ \begin{matrix} \begin{aligned} &x-ay=1 \\& \;\;(a^2-4)y=b-a\end{aligned}\end{matrix}\right.$$ Now, analize the cases $a^2-4=0$ and $a^2-4\ne 0.$

Fernando Revilla said:
Using the elemental transformation $E_2\to E_2-aE_1:$
$$\left \{ \begin{matrix} \begin{aligned} &x-ay=1 \\& ax-4y=b\end{aligned}\end{matrix}\right.\sim \left \{ \begin{matrix} \begin{aligned} &x-ay=1 \\& \;\;(a^2-4)y=b-a\end{aligned}\end{matrix}\right.$$ Now, analize the cases $a^2-4=0$ and $a^2-4\ne 0.$

Hi thanks for the reply. Am i on the right track if i do it like this?

Also if i were to analyze the two cases you mentioned, would it be correct to say that when $a^2-4\ne 0$ or $a^2\ne\pm 2$ the system has a unique solution? Thanks in advance

qybah said:
Hi thanks for the reply. Am i on the right track if i do it like this?
Right, but it remains to be seen several cases. You should obtain

$a\ne \pm 2,$ unique solution.

$a=2\left \{ \begin{matrix} b=2 &\mbox{more than one solution }& \\b\ne2 & \mbox{no solution}\end{matrix}\right.$

$a=-2\left \{ \begin{matrix} b=-2 &\text{more than one solution}& \\b\ne -2 & \mbox{no solution}\end{matrix}\right.$

Also if i were to analyze the two cases you mentioned, would it be correct to say that when $a^2-4\ne 0$ or $a^2\ne\pm 2$ the system has a unique solution? Thanks in advance
I suppose you meant $a\ne \pm 2.$ In that case, you are right.

Last edited:

Related to Finding unknown coefficients to give a unique solution in a linear system

What is a linear system?

A linear system is a set of equations that can be expressed in the form of Ax = b, where A is a matrix of coefficients, x is a vector of variables, and b is a vector of constants. The goal of solving a linear system is to find values for x that satisfy all of the equations simultaneously.

Why is it important to find unknown coefficients in a linear system?

Finding unknown coefficients is important because it allows us to fully understand and solve a linear system. Without knowing all of the coefficients, we cannot accurately determine the unique solution to the system.

What is a unique solution in a linear system?

A unique solution in a linear system is a set of values for the variables that satisfies all of the equations in the system. This means that there is only one possible solution that makes all of the equations true simultaneously.

How do we find unknown coefficients in a linear system?

There are several methods for finding unknown coefficients in a linear system, including substitution, elimination, and matrix operations. These methods involve manipulating the equations in the system to isolate the variables and solve for their values.

What happens if a linear system has no unique solution?

If a linear system has no unique solution, it means that there is no set of values for the variables that satisfies all of the equations in the system. This could be due to inconsistent equations or too few equations to determine a unique solution.