Calculating the electric field

In summary, the problem involves calculating the electric field at the origin (q_0) due to two charges (q_1 and q_2) located at the corners of an equilateral triangle. Using the formula E_x = k(q/x^2), the horizontal components for q_1 and q_2 are found to be -659266.67 N/C and 114872.22 N/C, respectively. However, since q_0 is located at a distance of L/2 from q_1 due to the equilateral nature of the triangle, a cosine function is needed to accurately calculate the horizontal component of q_1's field at q_0.
symmet
Here's the problem:

Three charges are at the corners of an equilateral triangle as in the figure below:

....(+)q_1
.../...\
.../...\ L
.../...\
...q_0(+)____(-)q_2L = .06 m
q_0 = 1.8*10^-6 C
q_1 = 6.6*10^-6 C
q_2 = -4.6*10^-6 C

Calculate the electric field at the position of q_0 (the origin) due to q_1 and q_2.
Answer is a vector in terms of i and j.

My approach was to break down q_1 and q_2 into vector components. For example, to find the horizontal components, I did:

E_x = k(q/x^2)

where x is the horizontal distance from position q_0 and q is the charge. (k = 8.99*10^9)

So, plugging this in for both q_1 and q_2, I got:

q_1: E_x = -659266.67 N/C
q_2: E_x = 114872.22 N/CI put a - on q_1 because of the direction of the vector at q_0. Adding these together I get -544394.45 for the total horizontal component. But this isn't right. Can anyone tell me where I've gone wrong in my thought process? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what the answer is?

Umm... well, it's a vector, so you would need a cosine for your horizontal q_1 field at point q_0.

It's online homework, so no I don't know what it is.

Well since it is an equilateral triangle, all sides are the same length L and all angles are 60 degrees. I know that the q_1 charge is L/2 away from q_0 horizontally because it is equilateral (and Lcos60 = L/2). That is what would be substituted for x in the equation.

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field?

The formula for calculating the electric field is E = k * Q / r^2, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge to the point where the electric field is being measured.

2. How do you calculate the electric field between two charges?

To calculate the electric field between two charges, you can use the formula E = k * (Q1 / r1^2 + Q2 / r2^2), where Q1 and Q2 are the two charges, and r1 and r2 are the distances from each charge to the point where the electric field is being measured.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric field?

The unit of measurement for electric field is Newton per Coulomb (N/C) in the SI system. In other systems, it may be expressed as volts per meter (V/m).

4. Can the direction of the electric field be calculated?

Yes, the direction of the electric field can be calculated by using the electric field vector, which points in the direction of the force that a positive test charge would experience when placed in the electric field.

5. How does the electric field change with distance from a point charge?

The electric field strength decreases as the distance from a point charge increases. This decrease is inversely proportional to the square of the distance, meaning that as the distance doubles, the electric field strength decreases by a factor of four.