The speed of the electrons in the conductor

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a copper conductor connected to a battery and the determination of the average speed of the electrons. The relevant equations for solving the problem are provided, including I=dQ/dt, dQ=nqvAdt, and v=J/nq. The speaker encourages the listener to use these equations to solve the problem themselves.
gabor7896

Homework Statement

A copper conductor with a cross-section of A and a length of is connected to a battery with a electromotive force of U. The resistance of the conductor is R, and the internal resistance of the battery is negligible.
U = 220 V
l = 10 m
A = 10 mm2
R = 0.01695 [tex]\Omega[/tex]
Determine the average speed of the electrons!

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the electric current. But I have no idea how many electrons are moving.

I'm not a native speaker. I may have grammer mistakes.

Physics news on Phys.org
I will give u all the equations u need(i think) and try to solve it by urself

I=dQ/dt
dQ=nqvAdt thus I=nqvA n is the charge concentration, v the electrons velocity, A surface area

J=I/A J is the current's density

v=J/nq

hope i helped

1. What is the speed of electrons in a conductor?

The speed of electrons in a conductor can vary depending on the material and conditions. On average, electrons in a conductor move at a speed of about 0.001% of the speed of light, or 2700 km per second.

2. How does the speed of electrons in a conductor affect electricity?

The speed of electrons in a conductor is directly related to the flow of electricity. When a potential difference is applied to a conductor, the electrons will move in response to this force, creating an electric current. The speed of the electrons determines the rate at which the current will flow.

3. What factors affect the speed of electrons in a conductor?

The speed of electrons in a conductor can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the material of the conductor, temperature, and the presence of impurities or defects in the conductor. Additionally, the strength of the electric field and the density of electrons in the conductor can also affect their speed.

4. Can the speed of electrons in a conductor be faster than the speed of light?

No, the speed of electrons in a conductor cannot exceed the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. Electrons in a conductor are bound by the laws of physics and cannot break this speed limit.

5. How is the speed of electrons in a conductor measured?

The speed of electrons in a conductor can be measured using various techniques, such as the drift velocity method or the Thomson scattering method. These methods involve analyzing the movement of electrons and using mathematical calculations to determine their average speed.