Kinematics Water shooting out of hose

In summary: I think you can do this without making a new equation as you did. But I don't see the end of your reasoning, so I don't know if it's right or wrong. If you can explain, I can help you more.In summary, the problem involves adjusting a garden hose nozzle to a hard stream of water and pointing it vertically upward at a height of 1.5m above the ground. When the nozzle is quickly turned off, the sound of the water striking the ground is heard for another 2.0 seconds. The task is to find the speed of the water as it leaves the nozzle. Using the equations for constant acceleration, we can set up a system of equations using the given information and
hanlon

Homework Statement

Suppose you adjust your garden hose nozzle for a hard stream of water. You point the nozzle vertically upward at a height of 1.5 above the ground. When you quickly turn off the nozzle, you hear the water striking the ground next to you for another 2.0 . find the water speed as it leaves the hose nozzel

GIANCOLI.ch02.p62.jpg

Homework Equations

v = v_o + at
x = x_o + v_o*t + (1/2)at^2
v^2 = v_o^2 + 2a(x - x_o)
v_a = (v + v_o)/2

where v_o is initial velocity x_o is initial distance v_a is average velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

dunno if I can actually do this but I derived my own equation adding the top half (the parabola area) and the bottom the part equal 1.5m

0 = 2v_o + 19.6t ( v_o + at) for both 2 halfs of the parabola

bottom

-1.5 = v_o*t + 4.9t^2

add top and bottom

0 = v_o*t - 4.9t^2 +1.5 + 2v_o + 19.6t

simplify

-v_o = (-4.9t^2 + 19.6t +1.5)/ (t+2)

solve for v_o with t = 2

v_o = 5.275 m/s

I don't know if I was mathematically correct to add those equations together, can anyone help please

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry hanlon but your work is hard to follow. Use the subscript and superscript buttons provided above the input text field when posting, and any other necessary formatting to make it easier to read. You've also written down equations with values already plugged in without specifying which of the relevant equations you've used. It's hard to see where those values came from.

0 = 2v_o + 19.6t ( v_o + at) for both 2 halfs of the parabola

bottom

-1.5 = v_o*t + 4.9t^2

Where does the value 19.6 come from? Also, can you tell me how you got those equations you're using? Are they derived from the relevant, constant acceleration equations?

Last edited:
I, too, did not follow your derivation. Let's look at those equations again:
hanlon said:

Homework Equations

v = v_o + at
x = x_o + v_o*t + (1/2)at^2
v^2 = v_o^2 + 2a(x - x_o)
v_a = (v + v_o)/2

where v_o is initial velocity x_o is initial distance v_a is average velocity
Let's make a list of all the quantities that appear here:
t
x
x0
v
v0
a
(Since va is simply (x-x0)/t, I didn't bother listing it.)
Question for you: which of the quantities are given in the problem statement? Which quantity is being asked for? That information should help with choosing which equation (in your list above) will work out for this problem.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How does water shoot out of a hose?

Water shoots out of a hose due to the pressure created by the water pump or faucet. The force of the pressure pushes the water through the hose and out of the nozzle at a high velocity.

3. What factors affect the distance water shoots out of a hose?

The distance water shoots out of a hose is affected by the pressure, nozzle size, and angle of the hose. Higher pressure, smaller nozzle size, and a more direct angle will result in a greater distance.

4. Can the velocity of the water change while shooting out of a hose?

Yes, the velocity of the water can change while shooting out of a hose. This can be due to changes in pressure, changes in the nozzle size, or changes in the angle of the hose.

5. How can kinematics equations be applied to the motion of water shooting out of a hose?

Kinematics equations can be used to calculate the velocity, distance, and acceleration of the water shooting out of a hose. These equations can also be used to predict the trajectory of the water and how it will be affected by different factors such as gravity and air resistance.