Water reach (Hose without and with a nozzle)

In summary: Because that gives the maximum range. But you do not need to assume it is 45 to solve the problem; you only have to assume that the angle does not change.
Jenny Physics

Homework Statement

A hose of inside diameter ##1.5cm## can reach a distance of ##1.5m##. A nozzle is inserted in the hose and water can now reach ##24m##. What is the inside diameter of the nozzle? The height is the same in both cases.

Homework Equations

Use continuity equation ##v_{hose}A_{hose}=v_{nozzle}A_{nozzle}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Continuity equation gives ##1.5/t\pi r_{hose}^{2}=24\pi r_{nozzle}^{2}## which is the same as ##1.5(0.015/2)^{2}=24r_{nozzle}^{2}##. So ##r_{nozzle}=0.1875cm## and the inside diameter will be twice that or ##d=0.375cm##.

The solution however is ##d=0.75cm## (twice what I got). Where am I wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the relationship between launch speed and range?

haruspex said:
What is the relationship between launch speed and range?
##x=v_{horizontal}t=v_{horizonta}\sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}}##. ##h## is the same in both cases

Jenny Physics said:
h is the same in both cases
I see no reason why either t or h should be the same in both. What should we assume is the same?

haruspex said:
I see no reason why either t or h should be the same in both. What should we assume is the same?
The problem states the height is the same in both cases (with and without the nozzle)

Jenny Physics said:
The problem states the height is the same in both cases (with and without the nozzle)
I think they mean the heights of the end of the hose and of the point reached by the jet are the same.

Likes Jenny Physics
haruspex said:
I think they mean the heights of the end of the hose and of the point reached by the jet are the same.
Yes exactly

Jenny Physics said:
Yes exactly
But you have used it in post #3 as though the height the water reaches at the top of its trajectory is the same in both scenarios. That is not the case.

Likes Jenny Physics
haruspex said:
But you have used it in post #3 as though the height the water reaches at the top of its trajectory is the same in both scenarios. That is not the case.
I see. Still if the water exits with only horizontal velocity it can only fall down not go up. That means the point the water reaches has to be at a lower height.

Jenny Physics said:
if the water exits with only horizontal velocity
It says "can reach". What does that imply about the angle of the hose?

haruspex said:
It says "can reach". What does that imply about the angle of the hose?
If the angle is 90 with the horizontal obviously can't reach. So some angle between 0 and 90 degrees. I am imagining it must be 45 for some reason but I don't see what reason

Jenny Physics said:
If the angle is 90 with the horizontal obviously can't reach. So some angle between 0 and 90 degrees. I am imagining it must be 45 for some reason but I don't see what reason
Look up the "range equation" for projectile motion.

Likes Jenny Physics
Jenny Physics said:
must be 45 for some reason but I don't see what reason
Because that gives the maximum range. But you do not need to assume it is 45 to solve the problem; you only have to assume that the angle does not change.

Likes Jenny Physics and gneill

What is a "Water reach?"

A "Water reach" is the distance that water can travel from a hose or nozzle when it is turned on. This measurement can vary depending on the type of hose and nozzle being used.

What is the difference between a hose without and with a nozzle when it comes to water reach?

A hose without a nozzle typically has a shorter water reach compared to a hose with a nozzle. This is because the nozzle helps to control the flow and direction of the water, allowing it to travel further.

How does the size and type of hose affect water reach?

The size and type of hose can have a significant impact on the water reach. A larger diameter hose will generally have a longer water reach compared to a smaller diameter hose. Similarly, a high-quality hose made with durable materials will have a longer water reach compared to a lower-quality hose.

What factors can affect the water reach of a hose with a nozzle?

The water pressure, nozzle type, and nozzle setting can all affect the water reach of a hose with a nozzle. Higher water pressure and adjustable nozzles with different settings can increase the water reach.

What are some tips for maximizing water reach with a hose and nozzle?

To maximize water reach, make sure the hose is fully extended and there are no kinks or obstructions in the hose. Adjust the nozzle to the desired setting and use a higher water pressure if possible. It can also help to hold the nozzle at a slight angle to increase the distance the water travels.