Complex Numbers: Understanding Multiplication, Angles, and Length

This is essentially what the above commenter did. It's a more concrete proof and it's not just saying "well, it doesn't affect the length because it doesn't".
Howers
1) A mathemetician is willing to sell you something valued at $i^i. Would you pay him 20 cents for it?

2) Let z=(z1/z2) where z1 = a+ib and z2 = c+id. Show the angle of z is the difference between angle z1 and z2.

3) Show that multiplying any vector by e^ix doesn't alter its length.

My attempts:

1) Tried using cosx + isinx to no avail. Honestly have no idea where to begin.
2) First I found the z by multiplying it out. let x be the angle. so i did tanx = bc-ad/ac+bd. Individually, you get tanx1 = b/a and tanx2=d/c which is not the same.
3) in the length formula i end up with cos^2-sin^2 which does alter length.

ruined my thanks giving, so i give up onthese.

Physics news on Phys.org
Howers said:
1) Tried using cosx + isinx to no avail. Honestly have no idea where to begin.
You're more or less on the right track...use Euler's formula/identity.

2) First I found the z by multiplying it out. let x be the angle. so i did tanx = bc-ad/ac+bd. Individually, you get tanx1 = b/a and tanx2=d/c which is not the same.
Again, this is correct. You just need to show that difference of the angles is equal to arctan((bc-ad)/(ac+bd)). Look up trig. identites.

3) in the length formula i end up with cos^2-sin^2 which does alter length..

I don't quite understand what question 3 asks for. Sorry.

Euler's Identity

1)
So you're solving for [tex]i^i[/tex]. The Euler's Identity states that [tex]e^{\pi i}+1=0[/tex]. Using just this identity, many other quantities can be derived, including our [tex]i^i[/tex].

Start by subtracting [tex]1[/tex] from both sides, then getting the square root of both sides:
[tex]e^{\frac{1}{2}\pi i}=(-1)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

[tex](-1)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex] obviously can be written as [tex]\sqrt{-1}[/tex], which simplifies to [tex]i[/tex]:
[tex]e^{\frac{1}{2}\pi i}=i[/tex]

Now raise both sides to the power of [tex]\frac{1}{i}[/tex]:
[tex]e^{\frac{1}{2}\pi i\frac{1}{i}}=i^{\frac{1}{i}}[/tex]
[tex]e^{\frac{1}{2}\pi}=i^{\frac{1}{i}}[/tex]

Since [tex]\frac{1}{i}[/tex] equals [tex]i^{-1}[/tex], substitute:
[tex]e^{\frac{1}{2}\pi}=i^{i^{-i}}[/tex]

Now simply raise both sides to the power of [tex]-1[/tex]:
[tex]e^{-\frac{1}{2}\pi}=i^{i}[/tex]

And voila: [tex]i^{i} = e^{-\frac{1}{2}\pi} = 0.207879576 ...[/tex]

Now you be the economist and tell me whether you will accept the offer or not.

Howers said:
3) in the length formula i end up with cos^2-sin^2 which does alter length.

Close. We want to have the magnitude (absolute value) of e^ix = 1. So we write e^ix in the form of cos(x)+isin(x). Finding the magnitude of this is done by finding the square root of the sum of the squares so sqrt(cos(x)^2 + sin(x)^2). You'll notice that the i dropped out. This is because the definition of the magnitude of a set of terms is simply sqrt(t1^2+t2^2+...tn^2). We don't care that i^2 is -1, we still sum the term.

I think you'll agree that cos(x)^2+sin(x)^2 is 1 and that sqrt(1) is 1.

To the mods, the only reason I gave the full answer was that the OP was basically there, s/he just needed to see why it was positive sin(x)^2.

For 3, the simplest way to do it is to write the general complex number in polar form:

[tex]z= r e^{i\theta}[/tex].

Which quantity gives the length? Does multiplying by [itex]e^{ix}[/itex] affect this quantity?

for second question a quicker way is to convert to the polar form and then u can see the angle of z1/z2

for first question i=e^i*pi/2 (since sine(pi/2)=1) raise this to "i" power u immediately get e^-pi/2.

Last edited:
real10 said:
for first question i=e^j*pi/2 (since sine(pi/2)=1) raise this to "i" power u immediately get e^-pi/2.

Good work, but try to stick to one notation for the imaginary unit at a time. Are you a physics or engineering student?

Gib Z said:
Good work, but try to stick to one notation for the imaginary unit at a time. Are you a physics or engineering student?

lol sorry EE undergraduate hehe

EDIT: everything changed to i now

Gib Z said:
For 3, the simplest way to do it is to write the general complex number in polar form:

[tex]z= r e^{i\theta}[/tex].

Which quantity gives the length? Does multiplying by [itex]e^{ix}[/itex] affect this quantity?

That's not really a proof. That's saying that e^xi doesn't affect the length because... well it doesn't affect the length.

I disagree. You can always calculate the norm of the vector before and after, and show that it is the same.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real and imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. How do you multiply complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, you multiply the real parts and the imaginary parts separately, and then combine them using the distributive property. For example, (3 + 2i) * (4 + 5i) = 3 * 4 + 3 * 5i + 2i * 4 + 2i * 5i = 12 + 15i + 8i + 10i^2 = 22 + 23i.

3. What is the relationship between complex numbers and angles?

Complex numbers can also be represented using polar coordinates, with the real part being the length of the hypotenuse and the imaginary part being the angle from the positive x-axis. This allows for easier understanding of multiplication and division of complex numbers.

4. How do you find the length of a complex number?

The length of a complex number, also known as its modulus, can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. The length is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts. For example, the length of 3 + 4i is √(3^2 + 4^2) = √(9 + 16) = √25 = 5.

5. Can complex numbers be divided?

Yes, complex numbers can be divided. To divide complex numbers, you must first multiply the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator. The complex conjugate is found by changing the sign of the imaginary part. For example, (3 + 2i) / (4 + 5i) = (3 + 2i) * (4 - 5i) / (4 + 5i) * (4 - 5i) = (12 - 15i + 8i - 10i^2) / (16 - 25i^2) = (22 - 7i) / 41 = 22/41 - 7i/41.