Drawing a Balanced 3-Phase Resisitve-Capacitive Load Phasor Diagram

In summary, to draw a phasor diagram for a balanced 3-phase resistive-capacitive load, start with a horizontal reference axis and draw the three phase currents at 120 degrees apart. Then, draw the line voltages at the same angle and magnitude as the currents, but shifted by 90 degrees. Next, draw the capacitor current at 90 degrees behind the voltage phasors. Finally, complete the diagram by adding the resistive and capacitive currents vectorially to get the total current. Label all components appropriately.
cupcake

Homework Statement

From this diagram (see the attachment) I have to draw the phasor diagram showing the various voltages and current of balanced 3-phase resistive-capacitive load.

Homework Equations

I know from the capacitive current lead voltage by 90 degree

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn my own phasor diagram, but not really sure whether it is correct or not..
see another attachment, pardon my bad hand writing..
from the horizontal line,clockwise, Ir, Vrn, Vrb, Vbn, Vyb, Iy, Vyn, Ib, Vbn

kind anyone please help me?

Attachments

• HahHehHoh1996.jpg
    HahHehHoh1996.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 497
  • Screen shot 2010-10-24 at PM 09.07.33.png
    Screen shot 2010-10-24 at PM 09.07.33.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 517
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello fellow scientist,

I'm happy to help you with your phasor diagram for a balanced 3-phase resistive-capacitive load. First of all, it's important to note that in a balanced 3-phase system, the line voltages and currents are equal in magnitude and have a phase difference of 120 degrees. In addition, for a resistive-capacitive load, the current and voltage will have a phase difference of 90 degrees.

To start, draw a horizontal line to represent the reference axis. This will be your starting point for all the phasors. Then, draw the three phase currents (I) at 120 degrees apart from each other, starting from the reference axis. These will be your Ir, Iy, and Ib phasors.

Next, for the line voltages (V), draw them at the same angle and magnitude as the currents, but shifted by 90 degrees. This means that Vr will be 90 degrees ahead of Ir, Vy will be 90 degrees ahead of Iy, and Vb will be 90 degrees ahead of Ib. Make sure to label them accordingly.

Now, for the capacitor current (Ic), draw it at 90 degrees behind the voltage phasors. This means that Ic will be 180 degrees behind Vr, Vy, and Vb. Again, label it appropriately.

Finally, to complete the phasor diagram, draw the total current (It) by adding the resistive and capacitive currents vectorially. This means that It will be the hypotenuse of a right triangle, with Ir as the horizontal side and Ic as the vertical side. Label it appropriately as well.

Your final phasor diagram should show Ir, Iy, Ib, Vr, Vy, Vb, Ic, and It, all at the correct angles and magnitudes. I hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions. Happy drawing!

What is a 3-phase resistive-capacitive load phasor diagram?

A 3-phase resistive-capacitive load phasor diagram is a graphical representation of the voltage and current in a 3-phase electrical system that contains both resistive and capacitive elements.

What is the purpose of drawing a balanced 3-phase resistive-capacitive load phasor diagram?

The purpose of drawing a balanced 3-phase resistive-capacitive load phasor diagram is to analyze and understand the behavior of the electrical system, specifically in terms of the relationships between voltage and current and the power being generated or consumed.

What information can be obtained from a balanced 3-phase resistive-capacitive load phasor diagram?

A balanced 3-phase resistive-capacitive load phasor diagram can provide information such as the phase relationships between voltage and current, the power factor, and the amount of power being generated or consumed by the system.

How is a balanced 3-phase resistive-capacitive load phasor diagram drawn?

A balanced 3-phase resistive-capacitive load phasor diagram is typically drawn using a vector diagram, where the voltage and current are represented as vectors with magnitude and direction. The length of the vectors represents the magnitude of the voltage or current, and the angle between the vectors represents the phase relationship between them.

What is the significance of a balanced 3-phase resistive-capacitive load phasor diagram?

A balanced 3-phase resistive-capacitive load phasor diagram is significant because it allows for the analysis of the power flow and efficiency of a 3-phase electrical system. It also helps in identifying any imbalances or issues in the system that may need to be addressed.