Many car calculations, including torque and peak power

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the torque of the wheels, peak power, and work done for a car with a total mass of 680kg and 4 wheels. The radius of each wheel is 0.203m and the car has an acceleration of 26.82m/s^2 and an angular acceleration of 16.5 rad/s^2. The assumptions made include 4-wheel drive, no air resistance, and even weight distribution on the four wheels. The person is seeking help with calculating the torque and understanding peak power, and they have already attempted to calculate the torque using the moment of inertia and angular acceleration. They also mention needing the velocity to find the work done and are unsure of the maximum speed of
SoftwareEng
I need to calculate a number of things:
1. the torque of the wheels.
2. The peak power, i am assuming it means of the wheels
3. the work done.

i know:
total mass (car+wheel): 680kg.
mass of wheel: 22.67kg
there are 4 wheels.
radius of each wheel = .203m
time: 8s.
acceleration: 26.82m/s^2
angular acc: 16.5 rad/s^2 (i calculated this, but am fairly certain it is correct)

assumptions

4 wheel drive, so equal output from each wheel
no air resistance.
no rolling friction
even weight distribution on the four wheels.
what i don't understand/ need help with:

1.I attempted to calculate the torque useing the moment of innertia and the angular acceleration, but i am uncertain if i need to use only the weight of the wheel, or of that plus the weight that would be on the wheel.

2. I don't know exactly what peak power is, as it is never explained in the book. I assume its the maximum amount of power, so it would be when the speed is the greatest. if this is not the case, equations would be great.

That is about all. If i am pointed in the right direction on those areas, i should be able to find work done.

EDIT:
I'm not looking for answers, just what i should be doing.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, SoftwareEng.
I would find the torque from the force on the wheel and its radius. The force is whatever is needed to cause the acceleration of the car.

For the power, you could consider one second or one meter of the motion and calculate the work done. I think you will find that you need the velocity (to find the d if you start with a t or vice versa), indicating that the power depends on the velocity. Were you given the maximum speed for the car?

1. What is torque and how is it measured in cars?

Torque is the measure of the rotational force that an engine can produce. It is typically measured in foot-pounds (lb-ft) or newton-meters (Nm) and can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to a lever arm by the length of the lever arm.

2. How does torque affect a car's performance?

Torque plays a crucial role in a car's acceleration and overall performance. A higher torque means more force is applied to the wheels, resulting in faster acceleration. This is why cars with higher torque tend to have better towing capabilities and are more suited for off-road driving.

3. What is peak power and how is it different from torque?

Peak power is the maximum amount of power that an engine can produce at a certain point in its operating range. It is measured in horsepower (hp) or kilowatts (kW). Unlike torque, which is a measure of force, power is a measure of how quickly work can be done.

4. How do torque and peak power relate to each other?

Torque and peak power are interrelated but not directly proportional. A car with high torque may not necessarily have a high peak power, and vice versa. However, a car with a high peak power will have a higher top speed, while a car with high torque will have better acceleration.

5. How do car calculations like torque and peak power impact fuel efficiency?

The amount of torque and peak power an engine produces can affect its fuel efficiency. A car with a high torque may require more fuel to maintain its performance, while a car with high peak power may not be as efficient at lower speeds. However, other factors such as weight, aerodynamics, and engine technology also play a significant role in a car's fuel efficiency.