How to find the normal force of a car jack lifting a car

In summary: But thank you!In summary, A car is being lifted vertically by a jack at its rear end, with the weight of the car being supported by the jack and the two front wheels. The distance between the front wheels is 1.60m, and the distances from the axis connecting the two wheels to the center of mass and the rear of the car are 80cm and 2.10m, respectively. The problem asks for the fractions of the car's weight carried by each of the wheels and the jack, with the weight not being symmetrically distributed. To solve this, the net torque and net force equations were set up in vector form, with the torque equation being decomposed into two components in the x and z directions
Protium_H1

Homework Statement

A car is lifted vertically by a jack placed at the car's rear end 40cm off the central axis, so that the weight of the car is supported by the jack and the two front wheels. The distance between the front wheels is 1.60m, the distance from the axis connecting the two wheels to the center of mass of the car is 80cm, and the distance from the rear of the car to the center of mass is 2.10m. What fraction of the car's weight is carried by each of the wheels, and what fraction is carried by the jack? (Note: the weight on the wheels will not be symmetrically distributed).
yIgf9Lv.jpg

Homework Equations

[/B]
Net Torque: [itex] \Sigma \vec{\tau} = I \alpha = \tau_{1} + \tau_{2} + ... [/itex]
Net Force: [itex] \Sigma \vec{F} = ma = F_{1} + F_{2} + ... [/itex]

3. The Attempt at a Solution

1. Made my coordinates like so, plus I made clockwise rotation be positive.
  2. 146zJUf.jpg

3. Wrote the restriction [itex] \vec{F}_{NL} \neq \vec{F}_{NR} [/itex] and that [itex] \vec{F}_{NL} > \vec{F}_{NR} [/itex]
  4. Wrote the net force formula in vector form.
  5. [tex] \Sigma \vec{F}=\hat{j}Ma=\hat{j}(F_{NL}+F_{NR}+F_{NJ} - Mg) [/tex]
  6. Wrote the net torque formula in vector form,
  7. [tex] \Sigma \vec{\tau}_{about CM} = I_{car} \alpha = [\hat{j}F_{NJ} \times (\hat{k}2.10 + \hat{i}0.40)] - [\hat{j}F_{NL} \times (\hat{-k}0.80 + \hat{-i}0.80)] - [\hat{j}F_{NR} \times (\hat{-k}0.80 + \hat{i}0.80)] [/tex]
  8. Simplified torque to,
  9. [tex] \Sigma \vec{\tau}_{about CM} = \hat{-i}(2.10F_{NJ}+0.80F_{NL}+0.80F_{NB}) + \hat{k}(0.40F_{NJ}+0.80F_{NL}-0.80F_{NR}) [/tex]
  10. Note: So far this makes sense since [itex] \vec{\tau} [/itex] can't be parallel to the [itex] \vec{F}_{applied} [/itex] (i.e.: [itex] \Sigma \vec{\tau} [/itex] has not [itex] \hat{j} [/itex] component.)
  11. After this, I'm totally stuck since I have 3unknownss and only 2 equation (net force and net torque). I don't even know if my choice of using the center of mass (CM) of the car to find torque was a good idea, since the car is pivotted in the position of the two wheels. I don't even know if this system is [itex] \Sigma \vec{F} = 0 [/itex] and [itex] \Sigma \vec{\tau} = 0 [/itex]

Attachments

• yIgf9Lv.jpg
    yIgf9Lv.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,106
  • 146zJUf.jpg
    146zJUf.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 956
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Protium_H1 said:
3unknownss and only 2 equation (net force and net torque).
Your torque equation is a vector equation with two degrees of freedom. It counts as two.

Likes Protium_H1
haruspex said:
Your torque equation is a vector equation with two degrees of freedom. It counts as two.
You mean something like this?
[tex] \Sigma \vec{\tau}_{x-direction} = -\hat{i}(2.10F_{NJ}+0.80F_{NL}+0.80F_{NB}) [/tex]
[tex] \Sigma \vec{\tau}_{z-direction}= \hat{k}(0.40F_{NJ}+0.80F_{NL}−0.80F_{NR}) [/tex]
[tex] \Sigma \vec{F}_{y-direction} = \hat{j}(F_{NL}+F_{NR}+F_{NJ}−Mg) [/tex]
But how can I combine these if they have different directions? Also, With these 3 equations, I would have 4 unkowns (Mg and the 3 Normal Forces). Do I need to use the [itex] m\vec{a} [/itex] portion?

Protium_H1 said:
how can I combine these if they have different directions?
For equilibrium, each must have zero net torque (or net force, as appropriate).
Protium_H1 said:
With these 3 equations, I would have 4 unkowns (Mg and the 3 Normal Forces).
You are only asked for the ratio of forces. The actual forces are all proportional to M, so M must cancel out in taking the ratio.

Likes Protium_H1
haruspex said:
For equilibrium, each must have zero net torque (or net force, as appropriate).
Do you mean that, in this system, either net torque or net force is zero?

Protium_H1 said:
Do you mean that, in this system, either net torque or net force is zero?
In equlibrium, the net force in any selected direction is zero, and the net torque about any selected axis is zero. If not, something is going to accelerate.

Likes Protium_H1
haruspex said:
In equlibrium, the net force in any selected direction is zero, and the net torque about any selected axis is zero. If not, something is going to accelerate.

You’re actually a beauty. I just solved it, thanks!

Protium_H1 said:
You’re actually a beauty.
Sadly, my resemblance to my avatar is only slight.

Likes Protium_H1 and gneill

What is the normal force?

The normal force is the force that a surface exerts on an object that is in contact with it. It is perpendicular to the surface and prevents the object from falling through the surface.

Why is it important to find the normal force of a car jack lifting a car?

Finding the normal force is important because it helps determine how much weight the car jack is supporting and if it is able to safely and effectively lift the car. It also allows for accurate calculations and predictions of the forces acting on the car and the jack.

How can I calculate the normal force of a car jack lifting a car?

The normal force can be calculated using the formula FN = mg + ma, where m is the mass of the car, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2), and a is the acceleration of the car. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by measuring the weight of the car using a scale or by using a force sensor.

What factors can affect the normal force of a car jack lifting a car?

The normal force can be affected by the mass of the car, the angle and position of the car jack, the surface on which the car and jack are placed, and any external forces acting on the car (such as wind or slope of the ground).

How can I ensure that the normal force is accurately calculated?

To ensure an accurate calculation of the normal force, it is important to use the correct formula or measurement method for determining the force. It is also important to consider and account for any external factors that may affect the normal force. Additionally, using multiple methods or cross-checking calculations can help verify the accuracy of the result.