What exactly is the black color?

• Thread starter kamil trzaska
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Color
In summary, Kamil asked a question about the color black and its perception by the human eye. He wondered if black is truly an absence of information about objects and what exactly it is that is perceived by human senses. The response stated that blackness is not simply the absence of something, but rather a presence of black. The visual cortex is always active and incorporates the concept of black into our larger visual constructs. The conversation also included a side note about the topic being borderline for the forum and Kamil apologizing for not noticing the topic above.
kamil trzaska
Hello,
I've asked this question on the other forum, but it seems that its rarely visited, so I decided to ask my question here.

I'm wondering what exactly is the black color perceived by the human eye. I've read some explanations on the web, but none of them gives the exact answer.
So, if black is an absence of information about objects, so what exactly is this that "thing" perceived by human senses?
I know that is rather unusual question, but still I'm curious about this topic,
thanks and have a good day

Biology news on Phys.org
Hey Kamil, welcome to PF :smile: You're not stoned sitting around with your college buddies thinking about what the color black is, are you? I mean, it's ok with me, that's what I used to do in college. Your question is a psychophysiological one, which is kinda borderline here, but I'll try to help out anyway. First of all you're making a category mistake by saying that the color "black" reflects the absence of something. That's a perceptual-model construct that we use to classify percepts. Just because you have your eyes closed and your rods and cones aren't responding to the panoply of colors they do when they're open, doesn't mean that the visual cortex is silent. It is always active and representing in some fashion that gives meaning to your larger immediate cognitive construction of the moment. Same thing if you're, say, looking at a film noir poster or a picture of a galaxy surrounded by space. The black parts may not trigger your rods and cones, but your visual cortex is very active in incorporating that context into your larger visual construct. So, in short, blackness is not the absence of something, it's the presence of black.

oh, i didnt noticed the topic above, sorry, this one should be deleted I guess, I'll try to take my voice in there, thanks

DiracPool: thanks for your answer, I just noticed it :) No, I'm not stoned still I'm after a sleepless night so maybe that's the reason :)
I'll take a time and thing bout this issue, I'll also try to read the topic at the to of the site. But your answer seems very reasonable, still there are some questions I'd like to ask, so I probably will get back to this topic after I find some spare time, thanks :)

I can provide a scientific explanation for the concept of black color. Black is not a color in the traditional sense, but rather the absence of any visible light. Objects appear black because they absorb all the wavelengths of light that hit them, rather than reflecting any back to our eyes. This lack of reflected light is what our brain interprets as the color black.

The perception of black can also be influenced by the surrounding environment and lighting conditions. For example, a black object may appear darker when placed in a bright room, as there is a greater contrast between the object and its surroundings.

In terms of what we perceive as "black," it is a combination of the absence of light and our brain's interpretation of that absence. Our eyes and brains have evolved to interpret the visible spectrum of light, and black is simply the absence of that spectrum.

I hope this helps to answer your question and satisfy your curiosity. Have a good day.

1. What is the physical explanation for the color black?

The color black is not an actual color, but rather the absence of light or color. It occurs when all wavelengths of light are absorbed by an object, and no light is reflected back to our eyes. This creates the perception of blackness.

2. How is black created in the natural world?

Black can be found in nature through the presence of black pigments, such as melanin in human skin and fur. It can also be created through the absence of light, such as in deep caves or the depths of the ocean where no light can penetrate.

3. Is black considered a color in the scientific community?

No, black is not considered a color in the scientific community. It is often referred to as a "non-color" or "achromatic" because it does not have a specific wavelength or frequency of light associated with it.

4. Can black be created with light?

Technically, no. Since black is the absence of light, it cannot be created with light. However, black can be perceived when all wavelengths of light are combined in a process called additive color mixing.

5. Why is black often used as a symbol of death or evil?

Black has been associated with death and evil in many cultures and religions throughout history. This may be due to its association with darkness, which is often associated with fear and the unknown. Additionally, black is often used to represent mourning, as it is a color commonly worn at funerals.