Can Gamma(i) be Expressed in Terms of Elementary Functions? Bob

In summary, the Wikipedia article does not say that there is a known closed form for \Gamma(i), and the Wolfram website does not list \Gamma(i) as an elementary function.
bobbyk
Can Gamma(i) be expressed in terms of elementary functions? I know Mod(Gamma(i)) can.
Bob.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gamma(n+1)=n! Is this elementary enough?

Obviously it is useful only for integers.

mathman, I was asking about Gamma(i), where i is the imaginary unit, not an integer.
Bob

bobbyk said:
mathman, I was asking about Gamma(i), where i is the imaginary unit, not an integer.
Bob

Minor quibble - you should have said so in the first place. i (unfortunately) has multiple uses as a symbol. sqrt(-1) or simply an index are two examples.

Do you consider an integral to be an elementary function?

Da Jeans

I'm using the term "Elementary Function" in the technical sense. It's not what I
consider it to mean - the term is well-defined (see wikipedia) and is agreed on by
(almost) all mathematians.
I don't understand your question about an integral.
Thanks for responding, though!
Bob

Gamma(i)

mathman said:
Minor quibble - you should have said so in the first place. i (unfortunately) has multiple uses as a symbol. sqrt(-1) or simply an index are two examples.

OK, now that you know what I meant, do you have an answer? Or don't you know
what I mean by "elementary function" ?

Bob

You have an answer, in the Wikipedia link I posted.

I think the OP wants to know if there's a known closed form for [tex]\Gamma(i)[/tex], meaning (presumably) a finite combination of elementary functions and algebraic numbers. (So no infinite products, no integrals, and no "So-and-so's constant".)

The answer: I have no idea. My guess is that if there even is one, it would be pretty hard to find.

Seems unlikely, since the evaluation of [itex]|\Gamma(i)|^2=\Gamma(i)\Gamma(-i)[/itex] relies on the standard identity [itex]\Gamma(x)\Gamma(-x)=-\pi/x\sin(\pi x)[/itex].

And, [itex]\Gamma(i)[/itex] is not listed here: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GammaFunction.html

I know it's not what you wanted, but the absolute value of the constant is here:

For [tex]y\in\mathbb{R},[/tex] we have

[tex]\left| \Gamma (iy)\right| = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{y\sinh \pi y}}[/tex]​

this follows from mirror symmetry, i.e. [tex]\Gamma (\overline{z}) = \overline{\Gamma (z)}[/tex], and from the formula [tex]\Gamma (z)\Gamma (-z)=-\frac{\pi }{z\sin \pi z}[/tex].

Hence we have that

[tex]\boxed{\left| \Gamma (i)\right| = \sqrt{\frac{2\pi}{e^{\pi} -e^{-\pi}}}}[/tex]​

You should look here for more info (functions.wolfram.com).

Also http://dlmf.nist.gov/Contents/GA/ .

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can Gamma(i) be expressed as a finite combination of elementary functions?

No, Gamma(i) cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions because it involves complex numbers and the factorial function, which are not considered elementary functions.

2. Is there a way to approximate Gamma(i) using elementary functions?

Yes, there are various numerical methods that can be used to approximate Gamma(i) using elementary functions, such as the Lanczos approximation or the Stirling's approximation.

3. What is the significance of Gamma(i) in mathematics?

Gamma(i) is a special case of the Gamma function, which is an important mathematical function in many areas of mathematics, including complex analysis, number theory, and combinatorics.

4. Can the value of Gamma(i) be calculated exactly?

No, the value of Gamma(i) cannot be calculated exactly because it involves the evaluation of an infinite series, which can only be approximated numerically.

5. How is Gamma(i) used in real-world applications?

Gamma(i) has various real-world applications, such as in physics, where it is used to calculate the probability of quantum tunneling, and in statistics, where it is used to calculate the probability density function of the chi-squared distribution.