What is the simplest and most cost-effective device for calculating power usage?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a basic device that can calculate power usage for a specific implementation. The speaker is looking for a cost-effective option and mentions a product that measures current and uses the formula P = VI to convert to wattage, but notes that it may not be accurate for all types of loads. They also mention that there are devices available that can perform all necessary calculations, but building one would be a large project. The suggestion is made to purchase a meter that can be plugged into the appliance for less than $20.
jpgnfx
Hi,

can anyone help with advice on what basic device can i use to calulate power usage?
the implementation I am looking at is follows

mains socket -- device -- appliance

its much like the product -> http://www.p3international.com/products/special/P4400/P4400-CE.html except i want to do away with the LCD and strip it to the bare minimum to basically reduce cost..

is there a basic device i can use? if I am not wrong, the device measures current and uses P = VI to convert to wattage.

thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
jpgnfx said:
if I am not wrong, the device measures current and uses P = VI to convert to wattage.
Not quite that simple. P=VI works only with unity power factor. That may or may not be a good approximation for you depending on the load. If the load is a motor or a transformer, the power factor will be lower. If it is something like an electric stove, power factor will be close to 1.

There are devices that do all the needed calculations for you. For example here
https://www.analog.com/en/products/monitor-control-protection/power-monitors.html

But building your own meter is a big project.

Can you just buy a meter that you plug the appliance into, such as: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009MDBU/?tag=pfamazon01-20
They cost less than $20.

1. What is a device to calculate power?

A device to calculate power, also known as a power meter, is a scientific instrument used to measure the amount of electrical power being consumed by an electronic device or system. It typically consists of a display screen, input ports, and measurement circuits.

2. How does a device to calculate power work?

A device to calculate power works by measuring the voltage and current of an electrical circuit and then using the formula P = VI (power = voltage x current) to calculate the power being consumed. Some devices may also use additional calculations to account for factors such as power factor and harmonics.

3. What types of devices can a device to calculate power measure?

A device to calculate power can measure the power consumption of a wide range of electronic devices and systems, including appliances, computers, motors, lighting systems, and more. It can also measure the power being generated by renewable energy sources such as solar panels and wind turbines.

4. Is a device to calculate power accurate?

Yes, a device to calculate power is generally considered to be highly accurate. However, factors such as environmental conditions, calibration, and user error can affect the accuracy of the measurements. It is important to regularly calibrate the device and follow proper measurement techniques to ensure accurate results.

5. What are the benefits of using a device to calculate power?

Using a device to calculate power can provide valuable information about the energy consumption of electronic devices and systems, allowing for more efficient energy usage and cost savings. It can also help identify potential issues with power quality and equipment malfunctions. Additionally, power measurement is essential for energy auditing and compliance with energy efficiency standards.