Power supply for multiple devices -- effects on accuracy

In summary, the person is working on a project involving a Force vs Displacement graph using 2 analog inputs. The inputs are coming from a 5k potentiometer for displacement and a 1000 lb load cell sensor for force. They want to use a regulated 12V DC power supply for both devices to ensure accuracy. They are also concerned about potential issues with using the same power supply for both devices. They are using a specific power supply and load cell, and are advised to make sure the maximum voltage does not exceed the input voltage of the DAQ and to power the DAQ from the same power supply as the devices.
belae1ka
Hi,

For my project I am plotting a Force vs Displacement graph using 2 analog inputs which are going to a DAQ.

The two analog inputs are coming from;
-A 5k potentiometer (for the displacement)
-A 1000 lb load cell sensor (for the force)

I would like to use a regulated 12V DC (1Amp) power supply for both the potentiometer and the load cell. I would like my graph to be accurate.

I am curious as to if the output values from one device will be affected if another device is using the same power supply.

Do I have to worry about this potential issue if I am using a "regulated" power supply?

Here is a link to the power source I am using ;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K93AYTK/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Here is the datasheet for the load cell;
http://keli-cee.pl/dokumenty/134_DEFY-SS Datasheet.pdf

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you know the specs of the supply? Do you know the accuracy requirements for your setup? If you supply an input of your DAQ as a reference that is sampling supply voltage this should improve accuracy. This will tend to cancel ripple and droop but it will not make up for errors from the sensors themselves or the DAQ.

In case it's not obvious... You will also need to connect the 0v of power supply to the 0v of the DAQ/microcontroller.

You should ensure that the maximum voltage produced by the potentiometer and load cell can't exceed the max input voltage of the DAQ.

Ideally power the DAQ/microcontroller from the same power supply as the potentiometer and load cell (via a regulator if necessary).

Likes belae1ka
Thanks guys

1. How does using a power supply for multiple devices affect the accuracy of each device?

Using a power supply for multiple devices can potentially affect the accuracy of each device due to fluctuations in voltage and current. This can lead to variations in the output of each device, resulting in less precise measurements or readings.

2. Can using a power supply for multiple devices damage the devices?

If the power supply is not properly regulated or if there are sudden surges in voltage or current, it can potentially damage the devices connected to it. It is important to use a power supply that is appropriate for the devices and to ensure that it is functioning properly.

3. Is it better to use individual power supplies for each device?

In general, it is recommended to use individual power supplies for each device to ensure the most accurate and reliable results. This way, any fluctuations in voltage or current will only affect one device and not multiple devices.

4. What should be considered when choosing a power supply for multiple devices?

When choosing a power supply for multiple devices, it is important to consider the total power requirements of all the devices combined, as well as the individual voltage and current requirements of each device. It is also important to choose a power supply with proper regulation and protection features to prevent potential damage to the devices.

5. Are there any precautions that should be taken when using a power supply for multiple devices?

Yes, there are a few precautions that should be taken when using a power supply for multiple devices. These include ensuring that the power supply is properly regulated and has protection features, avoiding overloading the power supply, and regularly checking for any signs of damage or malfunction.