What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

In summary: Assuming that the two crests represent different wavefronts, the frequency would be the difference in wavelength between them. That would be 497 m/s and 978 m/s.
Samurai Weck

Homework Statement

A loudspeaker at the origin emits sound waves on a day when the speed of sound is 340 m/s. A crest of the wave simultaneously passes listeners at the coordinates (38,0) and (0,31).

What are the lowest two possible frequencies of the sound?

Honestly, I am most clueless on how to do this.

Homework Equations

I want to say that if the crest passes over each individual 38 and 31 m at the same, that has something to do with the wavelength[tex]\lambda[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that v=[tex]\lambda[/tex]f, But I'm unsure how you would use 38 and 31 m to figure out frequencies that would apply for each of them. Any starting point would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of wavelength? It is the distance from ... to ... ?

The distance between one peak to another. I still don't see how you would use the two different lengths. Are each of the lengths representative of the two different frequencies?

The origin emits spherical waves that expand in all directions. An emitted wavefront, say a crest, moves away from the origin at the speed of sound. Do the peaks mentioned in the problem belong to the same wavefront or to different wavefronts? What do you think?

Well, if they arrive at different points at the same time, they would have to be different wave fronts, because they're different distances. Also, the problem says the crest of the wave passes both listeners simultaneously.

So if they belong to different wavefronts, what could the possible wavelengths be?

That's where I'm scratching my head. It can't be 38 and 31 m, because that's ridiculously low. It would have to be something that divides evenly into both. Or the fact that 7 m is separated between the two is also significant.

Ah ha! So, since the difference between them is 7 m, that would mean that that would be a possible wavelength along with 14 m. Then you divide 340 by 7 and 14. That gives you 49 and 97. Again, thanks, man. Incredibly simple, but it took talking it out to understand it.

Think it over one more time. You've found that the distance between two crests (You don't know if they're consecutive or not) is 7 meters.

And you've said yourself that the distance between two consecutive crests is defined as the wavelength of the wave.

Using this information, what formulation can you find for the frequency? Note that there's an infinite number of possible frequencies!

Note that you don't know the phase at the source at that moment in time. You don't know how many wavelengths the source has 'sent out', it could be 3, 4, or 4.669.

1. What is sound emitted from the origin?

Sound emitted from the origin refers to any type of sound that originates from a specific point or source. This could include sounds such as a person's voice, an instrument, or even a mechanical device.

2. How does sound travel from the origin to our ears?

Sound travels in the form of waves from the origin to our ears. These waves are created when an object vibrates, causing the surrounding air particles to also vibrate. These vibrations then travel through the air to our ears, where they are converted into electrical signals by our eardrums and interpreted by our brains as sound.

3. Can sound emitted from the origin be heard in all directions?

Yes, sound emitted from the origin can be heard in all directions. When sound waves are created, they radiate outwards in all directions, allowing us to hear them no matter where we are located in relation to the origin.

4. How does the distance from the origin affect the intensity of sound?

The further away we are from the origin, the weaker the intensity of the sound will be. This is because as sound waves travel, they begin to spread out and lose energy. This is why we can hear someone's voice better when they are standing right next to us compared to when they are across the room.

5. What factors can affect the pitch of sound emitted from the origin?

The pitch of sound emitted from the origin can be affected by several factors, including the frequency of the sound waves, the size and shape of the object creating the sound, and the distance between the origin and the listener. For example, higher frequency sound waves will have a higher pitch, while larger objects will typically produce lower pitched sounds.