Four-vectors of a moving particle

• Thread starter Dakkers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, the particle has a position x(t) as a function of time given by the equationu = cgt / (1 + g2t2)1/2where g is a constant and c is the speed of light. The four-velocity is uμ and the four-force is (F0, F). It never exceeds the speed of light.
Dakkers

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m has a position along the x-axis as a function of time given by the equation

u = cgt / (1 + g2t2)1/2

where g is a constant and c is the speed of light.
(a) Find the 4-velocity of the particle.
(b) Express x and t as a function of the proper time of the particle.
(c) Find the 4-force acting on the particle. Does it ever exceed the speed of light?

Homework Equations

uμ = γ(c, u)

λ = dt / dτ

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Given the first equation, the four-velocity is simply

uμ = γ(c, cgt / (1 + g2t2)1/2

I think.
b) To find the position, we take the integral of dx/dt and find

x = (c/g)(1 + g2t2)1/2

If we let dt = γdτ, then we can easily see t = γτ.

However, this is a problem, as the particle is accelerating (its second time derivative is not zero) and that means γ must change. And, another problem, is that we cannot sub in

γ = (1 - u2/c2)-1/2

because then we have a recursive definition.
c) I know that the four-force is simply mass x second derivative of the four position (or mass x derivative of four-velocity), but I am not too sure how to differentiate it. I also know that the four-force is (F0, F) but I don't know how to find F0 :(
PLEASE BE GENTLE. I am a first-year physics student, and my university decided to put general relativity into a first-year course.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dakkers said:

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m has a position along the x-axis as a function of time given by the equation

u = cgt / (1 + g2t2)1/2

where g is a constant and c is the speed of light.
You mean velocity, right?

a) Given the first equation, the four-velocity is simply

uμ = γ(c, cgt / (1 + g2t2)1/2

I think.
That's right. Since you know the speed u(t), you can write down an expression for ##\gamma## as a function of t and simplify it a bit.

b) To find the position, we take the integral of dx/dt and find

x = (c/g)(1 + g2t2)1/2

If we let dt = γdτ, then we can easily see t = γτ.

However, this is a problem, as the particle is accelerating (its second time derivative is not zero) and that means γ must change. And, another problem, is that we cannot sub in

γ = (1 - u2/c2)-1/2

because then we have a recursive definition.
Your expression for x(t) is correct, but your reasoning about how t and τ are related isn't. Integrate ##\gamma = \frac{dt}{d\tau}## where you have expressed ##\gamma## as a function of t. (Hint: use the substitution gt = sinh θ.) Then you can write x as a function of the proper time.

c) I know that the four-force is simply mass x second derivative of the four position (or mass x derivative of four-velocity), but I am not too sure how to differentiate it. I also know that the four-force is (F0, F) but I don't know how to find F0 :(
The derivatives are with respect to the proper time τ. It might become clear how to do this after you have expressions for t(τ) and x(τ) from the previous parts of the problem.

vela said:
Your expression for x(t) is correct, but your reasoning about how t and τ are related isn't. Integrate ##\gamma = \frac{dt}{d\tau}## where you have expressed ##\gamma## as a function of t. (Hint: use the substitution gt = sinh θ.) Then you can write x as a function of the proper time.

The derivatives are with respect to the proper time τ. It might become clear how to do this after you have expressions for t(τ) and x(τ) from the previous parts of the problem.

Our professor never actually mentioned hyperbolic functions :\

I'm not too sure how to integrate γ, either. I am so bad at this.

What expression did you get for ##\gamma## in terms of t? You don't have to use hyperbolic functions. You could use a trig substitution, but I think it works out more simply with sinh.

I got

γ = (1 / (1 + g2t2))-1/2

Good. You can simplify it a bit more:
$$\gamma = \sqrt{1+(gt)^2}.$$So now you have
$$\frac{dt}{d\tau} = \sqrt{1+(gt)^2},$$ which you can solve to find ##t(\tau)##.

would it simply be

t = (1 + (gt)2)1/2τ

?

No, you can't do that because t varies as τ does. What you have to do is get t on one side and τ on the other:
$$d\tau = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+(gt)^2}}\,dt$$and then you can integrate both sides to get
$$\tau = \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+(gt)^2}}\,dt$$

1. What is a four-vector of a moving particle?

A four-vector of a moving particle is a mathematical representation of the particle's position, momentum, and energy in space and time. It consists of four components: three spatial components and one temporal component, and is used in relativity to describe the motion of a particle.

2. What is the significance of using four-vectors in physics?

Four-vectors are significant in physics because they allow us to describe the motion of a particle in a way that is consistent with the principles of special relativity. They also help us to understand the relationship between space and time and how they are affected by the motion of an object.

3. How are four-vectors related to the Lorentz transformation?

The Lorentz transformation is a mathematical equation that describes how coordinates and measurements of space and time are affected by the relative motion of an object. Four-vectors are related to the Lorentz transformation because they are used to describe the motion of a particle in a way that is consistent with this transformation.

4. Can four-vectors be used to describe the motion of any particle?

Yes, four-vectors can be used to describe the motion of any particle, as long as the particle is moving at a constant velocity. They are particularly useful for particles that are moving close to the speed of light, where the effects of special relativity are most prominent.

5. How do we calculate the four-vector of a moving particle?

The four-vector of a moving particle can be calculated using the particle's position, momentum, and energy values. The spatial components of the four-vector are equal to the particle's momentum in the x, y, and z directions, while the temporal component is equal to the particle's energy divided by the speed of light. The resulting four-vector can then be used to describe the particle's motion in space and time.