An electron in an oscillating magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses an electron at rest in an oscillating magnetic field and the minimum field required to force a complete flip in the spin along the x axis. The solution involves calculating the probability of obtaining a spin-down state along the x axis and determining the minimum field required for this to occur. The concept of a "complete flip" is clarified as going from spin-up to spin-down or vice versa.
Haorong Wu

Homework Statement

An electron is at rest in an oscillating magnetic field
$$ \mathbf B = B_0 cos\left( ωt \right) \hat k $$
where ##B_0## and ##ω## are constants.

What is the minimum field (##B_0##) required to force a complete flip in ##S_x##?

Homework Equations

$$H=- γ \mathbf B \cdot \mathbf S $$
$$ c^{(x)}_{-} = χ^{(x)†}_{-} χ$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved that
$$ χ(t) = \begin{pmatrix} \frac 1 {\sqrt 2} exp \left( -i \frac {γ B_0} {2ω} sin ( ωt ) \right) \\ \frac 1 {\sqrt 2} exp \left( i \frac {γ B_0} {2ω} sin ( ωt ) \right) \end{pmatrix} $$
Also, the probability of getting ##- \frac \hbar 2## by measuring ##S_x## is
$$ P(- \frac \hbar 2 ) = {| c^{(x)}_{-} |}^2 = sin^2 ( \frac {γ B_0 sin(ωt)} {2ω}) $$

The statement of "to force a complete flip in ##S_x##" troubles me. Since English is not my first language, I failed to find out the meaning of the statement at google. From the solution, it seems that the probability ## P(- \frac \hbar 2 ) =1 ## relates to something that forces a complete flip.
So, what is a complete flip?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is definitely not clear, but I would consider a "complete flip" to mean going from spin-up to spin-down (or vice versa). In this case, it would be spin-up or down along the x axis.

DrClaude said:
This is definitely not clear, but I would consider a "complete flip" to mean going from spin-up to spin-down (or vice versa). In this case, it would be spin-up or down along the x axis.

But how does it relate to the probability ##P(- \frac \hbar 2)=1## ?

Thanks!

Haorong Wu said:
But how does it relate to the probability ##P(- \frac \hbar 2)=1## ?
Reading that as ##P(S_x = -\hbar/2)=1##, that corresponds to a spin-down state along x. So starting from spin-up, you have ##P(S_x = \hbar/2)=1##, and when ##P(S_x = -\hbar/2)=1## is attained, that means it is a "complete flip."

Likes Haorong Wu
DrClaude said:
Reading that as ##P(S_x = -\hbar/2)=1##, that corresponds to a spin-down state along x. So starting from spin-up, you have ##P(S_x = \hbar/2)=1##, and when ##P(S_x = -\hbar/2)=1## is attained, that means it is a "complete flip."

Thank you very much! It makes sense to me now.

1. What is an oscillating magnetic field?

An oscillating magnetic field is a type of magnetic field that changes in strength and direction over time. This change can be periodic, meaning it repeats itself in a regular pattern, or non-periodic, meaning it changes in a more random manner.

2. How does an electron behave in an oscillating magnetic field?

An electron in an oscillating magnetic field will experience a force that causes it to move in a circular or helical path. The direction and speed of this motion depend on the strength and frequency of the magnetic field.

3. What is the significance of an electron in an oscillating magnetic field?

Studying the behavior of an electron in an oscillating magnetic field can provide insights into the properties of the magnetic field and the nature of the electron itself. This phenomenon is also important in many technological applications, such as in generators and motors.

4. How does an electron's energy change in an oscillating magnetic field?

An electron's energy can change in an oscillating magnetic field due to the work done on it by the magnetic force. This can result in the emission or absorption of electromagnetic radiation, depending on the direction and strength of the magnetic field.

5. Can an electron's motion in an oscillating magnetic field be controlled?

Yes, an electron's motion in an oscillating magnetic field can be controlled by varying the strength and frequency of the magnetic field. This allows for precise manipulation of the electron's path and energy, making it a useful tool in scientific research and technology.