Relationship between f(x) and f(1/x)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the goal is to determine the value of f(2) given the equation 2f(x)-3f(1/x)=x^2. The speaker is initially confused about the relationship between f(x) and f(1/x) and attempts to solve by substituting variables. However, it is clarified that there is no direct relationship between the two functions and the speaker is advised to substitute values for x to find additional equations involving f(2). The conversation ends with the speaker successfully finding the correct answer.
Uranium235
Here's a problem that I am having difficulty doing:

Homework Statement

The question states:
if 2f(x)-3f(1/x)=x^2, determine f(2)

I am confused about the relationship between f(x) and f(1/x). My attempt right now consists of substituting y for f(x), 1/y for f(1/x) and 2 for the x in x^2 but i am quite sure that this is wrong since I do not get the answer that I was supposed to get (which is -7/4)

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no relationship between f(x) and f(1/x) other then what you get from 2f(x)-3f(1/x)=x^2. if y = f(x) then 1/y would be 1/f(x) and this is not equal to f(1/x)

You can try to substitute various values for x and see what you get

if x = 1 this tells you that 2f(1) - 3f(1) = 1 so f(1) = -1

if x=2 this tells you that 2f(2) - 3f(1/2) = 4

now try to find another equation with f(2) in it

Thank you very much for the quick response. I was able to go from where you left off and get the correct answer. :smile:

Related to Relationship between f(x) and f(1/x)

What is the relationship between f(x) and f(1/x)?

The relationship between f(x) and f(1/x) is that they are inverse functions of each other. This means that when one function is inputted into the other, the output will be the original input.

How can the relationship between f(x) and f(1/x) be represented graphically?

The relationship can be represented graphically by plotting both functions on the same graph. The resulting graph will show that the two functions are symmetrical about the line y=x, indicating their inverse relationship.

What is the domain and range of f(x) and f(1/x)?

The domain of f(x) is all real numbers except 0, while the range is also all real numbers except 0. On the other hand, the domain of f(1/x) is all real numbers except 0, and the range is also all real numbers except 0.

What is the significance of the relationship between f(x) and f(1/x)?

The relationship between these two functions has many practical applications in mathematics and science. It can be used to solve equations involving inverse functions, and it is also useful in understanding the behavior of exponential and logarithmic functions.

How can the relationship between f(x) and f(1/x) be used in real-life situations?

The relationship has many real-life applications, such as in physics and engineering. For example, it can be used to model the relationship between force and distance in a spring, or the relationship between voltage and current in an electrical circuit.