How Do You Solve the Equation log(x) = 2cos(x) in the Interval 0 < x < 2π?

• Thread starter ms. confused
  • Start date
In summary, challenging math questions require critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and can be beneficial for students of all levels. To improve problem-solving skills, one can practice regularly, break down problems, and use different strategies. If stuck on a challenging math question, one can approach it from a different angle or seek help from others. Online resources such as math competition websites, apps, and forums are available for finding challenging math questions to practice.
ms. confused
How does this question work? It's multiple choice so its one of the following answers.

logx=2cosx, 0<x<2pi

A. 0.17, 0.71
B. 1.38
C. 1.48, 5.07
D. 1.57, 5.11

Physics news on Phys.org
Graphical Solution

There is an x (in your domain) where these two functions intersect. Graph them and see. (This is a trancendental equation, by the way.)

-Beth

If it's multiple choice, why don't you plug in the values in your calc?

If you want a method, I don't think this can be solved analytically. Do you know any numerical methods?

daster said:
Do you know any numerical methods?

That's what I was hoping to find out.

1. What makes a math question challenging?

A challenging math question is one that requires a higher level of critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It may involve multiple steps, abstract concepts, or unconventional approaches to finding a solution.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in math?

One way to improve problem-solving skills in math is by practicing regularly and exposing yourself to a variety of challenging problems. You can also try breaking down problems into smaller, more manageable parts, and using different strategies to approach them.

3. Are challenging math questions only for advanced students?

No, challenging math questions can be beneficial for students of all levels. They can help develop critical thinking skills and provide a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts.

4. How can I approach a challenging math question if I get stuck?

If you get stuck on a challenging math question, take a step back and try to approach it from a different angle. You can also seek help from a teacher, tutor, or fellow student for guidance and support.

5. What are some resources for finding challenging math questions to practice?

There are many online resources available for finding challenging math questions, such as math competition websites, math problem-solving apps, and math forums. You can also ask your teacher for additional resources or create your own challenging math problems to solve.