Ball rolling down ramp off a table

In summary, the physicist is trying to find a formula to calculate how far the cup should be from the ramp to catch the falling ball. They will need to use the projectory of the ball as it leaves the ramp, as well as the speed and acceleration of the ball. If the ball touches the floor during the experiment, it is counted as a zero.
KingNothing
I have to do an important experiment tomorrow. In physics, we have this setup:

We have a ramp (we don't know how long, we don't know the angle), and we put it on a normal counter top with the 'exit' end up to a meter from the edge.

We place a camera film capsule off the edge of the table, and we have to try to calculate it just right so the ball falls in.

Since I don't know the exact measurements, I can say this: The ball will be a solid metal ball, probably about 1/2 the volume of a ping pong ball. We will be using a normal countertop and a table probably about 1m high. I don't know the exact measurements of any of these, but to be prepared, I pose you this question(s): What formulas will I have to know? About how much should I take counter friction into account?

Physics news on Phys.org
You will just need to work out the projectory of the ball as it leaves the ramp. Use suvat equations to work out the speed and acceleration ect of the ball and you can easily work it out.

You may also want to do some test rolls to work the values out - i.e. roll the ball down and measure the time it takes and the distance it travels before it hits the floor. Since the incline of the ramp, the mass of the ball and the value of gravity will remain constant, you will then be able to say how far the cup should be away from the ramp to catch the ball.

Then it should just be a case of making sure you roll the ball in a straight line.

Yeah, I wish. That's the catch. If the ball touches the floor at any time during the experiment, its an automatic zero. We get one shot and one shot only.

1. How does the height of the table affect the speed of the ball rolling down the ramp?

The height of the table does not directly affect the speed of the ball rolling down the ramp. However, the higher the table, the longer the ramp can be, which can increase the acceleration and speed of the ball.

2. What role does gravity play in the motion of the ball down the ramp?

Gravity is the force that pulls the ball down the ramp. Without gravity, the ball would not accelerate and roll down the ramp.

3. How does the angle of the ramp impact the speed of the ball?

The angle of the ramp affects the speed of the ball by influencing its acceleration. A steeper ramp will increase the acceleration and therefore the speed of the ball.

4. Why does the ball continue to roll off the table after reaching the end of the ramp?

The ball continues to roll off the table due to its inertia. Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion, so the ball will continue to roll in a straight line until it is acted upon by another force, such as friction or gravity.

5. How does the surface of the ramp and table affect the motion of the ball?

The surface of the ramp and table can influence the motion of the ball through friction. A smoother surface will have less friction, allowing the ball to roll faster, while a rougher surface will create more friction and slow down the ball's motion.