What Strategies Can Tackle This Complex Contour Integral?

In summary, the conversation discusses a contour integral involving a fraction with a cosine function in the denominator. The person explains that they would have no problem if the cosine function was not in the denominator, but they are currently stumped. They ask for help or hints, and later clarify and correct some of the equations.
MadMax
Contour integral

How would you deal with this?

[tex]\int \frac{\rho \sin{\theta} d \rho d \theta}{\cos{\theta}} \frac{K^2}{K^2 + \rho^2} e^{i \rho \cos{\theta} f(\mathbf{x})}[/tex]

if the cos(theta) were'nt on the bottom I'd have no problem; I'd simply substitute for cos(theta) and the sin(theta) would cancel...

but as it stands.. I'm stumped.

Help/hints would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure there should be a cos(theta) in the denominator? Where did that expression come from?

well I had something like:

[tex]\int \frac{d^3 \mathbf{q}}{\mathbf{q_z}} \frac{2K^2 + \mathbf{q}^2 - (\mathbf{q} \cdot \hat{x})^2}{2(K^2 + \mathbf{q}^2)}e^{i \mathbf{q_{\perp}} \cdot \mathbf{x}}e^{i \mathbf{q_z} f(\mathbf{x})}[/tex]

I made q_z parallel to x, (which means the first exponential disappears), converted into spherical coords, integrated over \phi from 0 to 2pi, and thus...

Last edited:
I guess I'm stumped as well. Anybody else seen something like that?

I wasn't correct in some of the things I wrote in the two equations. The second exponential in particular...

I edited them so they're correct now. Not sure if it makes a difference but perhaps it helps? Might make sense how I got from one to the other now anyway...

1. What is a contour integral?

A contour integral is a type of integral that is calculated along a path or contour in the complex plane. It is used in mathematics and physics to calculate the value of a function along a specific path in the complex plane.

2. How is a contour integral different from a regular integral?

A contour integral is different from a regular integral in that it is calculated along a specific path or contour in the complex plane, rather than over a specific interval on the real number line. This allows for the calculation of complex functions and provides a more powerful tool for solving mathematical and physical problems.

3. What are some common techniques for evaluating tricky contour integrals?

Some common techniques for evaluating tricky contour integrals include using Cauchy's integral formula, the residue theorem, and the method of steepest descent. These methods involve using properties of complex functions and the complex plane to simplify and evaluate the integral.

4. What are the applications of contour integrals in science?

Contour integrals have a wide range of applications in science, particularly in physics and engineering. They are used to calculate the electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetism, the heat flow in thermodynamics, and the flow of fluids in fluid mechanics. They are also used in signal processing, image processing, and other areas of science and engineering.

5. How can I improve my understanding and skills in solving tricky contour integrals?

To improve your understanding and skills in solving tricky contour integrals, it is important to have a strong foundation in complex analysis and calculus. Practice and familiarity with various techniques, such as the residue theorem and Cauchy's integral formula, can also help improve your skills. Additionally, seeking out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems can aid in your understanding and mastery of contour integrals.