Open Ball in Metric Space (R2, d1)

• Thread starter analysis001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the set of the unit ball centered at 0 = (0,0) in the (x1, y2)-plane, where d1(x,y)=|x1-y1|+|y1-y2| is in the metric space (R2, d1) is B1(0)={(x1,x2)\inR2 | |x1| + |x2| < 1}.
analysis001

Homework Statement

What is the set of the unit ball centered at 0 = (0,0) in the (x1, y2)-plane, where d1(x,y)=|x1-y1|+|y1-y2| is in the metric space (R2, d1)

Homework Equations

An open ball is Br(x)={y[itex]\in[/itex]X|d(x,y)<r}

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the solution is this: B1(0)={(x1,x2)[itex]\in[/itex]R2 | |x1| + |x2| < 1}
but I'm not sure how to get that answer. Here is what my answer would have been (by the definition of the open ball):
B1(0)={y[itex]\in[/itex]R2| |-y1|+|x2|<1}
I know that's wrong. So basically, could someone just explain the correct answer? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
analysis001 said:

Homework Statement

What is the set of the unit ball centered at 0 = (0,0) in the (x1, y2)-plane, where d1(x,y)=|x1-y1|+|y1-y2| is in the metric space (R2, d1)

Homework Equations

An open ball is Br(x)={y[itex]\in[/itex]X|d(x,y)<r}

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the solution is this: B1(0)={(x1,x2)[itex]\in[/itex]R2 | |x1| + |x2| < 1}
but I'm not sure how to get that answer. Here is what my answer would have been (by the definition of the open ball):
B1(0)={y[itex]\in[/itex]R2| |-y1|+|x2|<1}
I know that's wrong. So basically, could someone just explain the correct answer? Thanks!

Given a point ##\mathbf{x}=(x_1,x_2)\in\mathbb{R}^2##, can you write down the algebraic expression for ##d_1(\mathbf{0},\mathbf{x})##? For example the (simplified) algebraic expression for ##d_2(\mathbf{0},\mathbf{x})## would be ##\sqrt{x_1^2+x_2^2}##.

Please take care to proofread your response. It looks as though there a multiple errors in your original post, and it's hard to tell if they are typographical errors or errors in understanding. It makes it difficult to help.

I have attached a picture of the notes where I got this from. Sorry for the typos. The only one I can see is d1(x,y)=|x1-y1|+|y1-y2| should be d1(x,y)=|x1-y1|+|x2-y2|

Attachments

• Open Ball.jpg
    Open Ball.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 349
analysis001 said:
I have attached a picture of the notes where I got this from. Sorry for the typos. The only one I can see is d1(x,y)=|x1-y1|+|y1-y2| should be d1(x,y)=|x1-y1|+|x2-y2|

Using the definition precisely as quoted, there is only one typo in your answer: [tex]\begin{align*} B_1(0) &= \{y\in X: d_1(0, y) < 1\}\\
&= \{(y_1, y_2)\in X: |0 - y_1| + |0 - y_2| < 1\}\end{align*}[/tex] The symbol "x" may replace the symbol "y" when you are done, since the symbol "x" has no special meaning other than notifying the reader as to the proper position of quantities in the definition. You then only need to simplify the terms |-x1| and |-x2|.

Last edited:

What is "Open Ball Clarification"?

"Open Ball Clarification" refers to a mathematical concept used in topology, specifically in the study of metric spaces. It involves defining a set of points within a given distance from a particular point, and is used to describe the properties of open sets in a topological space.

Why is "Open Ball Clarification" important in topology?

"Open Ball Clarification" is important in topology because it allows for the precise definition and characterization of open sets in a topological space. This is crucial in understanding the properties and behavior of topological spaces, which have wide applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

How is "Open Ball Clarification" related to the concept of continuity?

"Open Ball Clarification" is closely related to the concept of continuity in mathematics. It is used to define the notion of a continuous function, which is a fundamental concept in calculus and analysis. Specifically, a function is continuous if and only if the preimage of any open set is also open, which can be described using "Open Ball Clarification".

Can "Open Ball Clarification" be applied in other areas of science?

Yes, "Open Ball Clarification" has applications in various areas of science such as physics, computer science, and engineering. In physics, it is used to study the behavior of particles in a given space, while in computer science, it is used in algorithms for optimization and clustering. In engineering, it is used in the design of control systems and signal processing.

What is the difference between "Open Ball Clarification" and "Closed Ball Clarification"?

The main difference between "Open Ball Clarification" and "Closed Ball Clarification" is that open balls include all points within a given distance from a particular point, while closed balls include the boundary points as well. In other words, open balls do not include the points on the border of the ball, while closed balls do. This difference is important in understanding the properties and behavior of topological spaces and can have implications in various applications.