Is an MSc in Physics after BTech a better option for research career in India?

• Thread starter Chairman Lmao
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Msc Physics
In summary, the individual is considering pursuing a PhD and research in Physics, but is unsure of the best path to take due to limited options in India. They have received conflicting advice about pursuing a B.Tech and then an MSc versus attending a newer institute, IISER. The individual is also unsure if their B.Tech degree will qualify them for a master's program in physics. However, they have confirmed that a B.Tech from a respected Indian university is equivalent to an undergraduate engineering degree and will make them eligible for MSc programs. IISER is not yet an accredited university, but the government has allocated funding for its improvement and offers a 5-year Integrated MS program with a research project in the final year. The
Chairman Lmao
Hi everyone.

I am in a big dilemma. I want to do a PhD andtake up research in Physics as a career. The trouble is there are not many good colleges for Physics in India apart from the IITs(I qualified, but couldn't get a Physics seat). The next best option for Physics for me is the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research(IISER)( a Govt. college established only about 2 years ago). One career counsellors told me that doing a BTech from an established college(I have got an Electrical Engineering seat in NIT- a famous college in India) and then going for MSc will be better than joining a new institutue like IISER, because of the amount of exposure I get. Is that really true? Will a Btech give me a strong enough foundation? Pls reply asap.

Regards,

Physics news on Phys.org
What this really depends on is whether or not the B. Tech. will qualify you as a pre-requisite for the M.Sc. program you're interested in. Where I'm from (Canada), technology "degrees" are really just community college diplomas and won't qualify you for graduate school. However, by the way you're describing it, it sounds like B.Tech. from a respected Indian university is basically an undergradute engineering degree. This may or may not qualify you for a master's program in physics. At my institution, I know we generally accept engineering students (and historically they do quite well), so long as they have the necessary prerequisite courses.

If the IISER college is an accredited university, (i.e. will be recognized by the M.Sc. programs you're interested in), I wouldn't let the fact that it's new discourage you from going that route - especially if that's the program you really want to take.

Choppy said:
What this really depends on is whether or not the B. Tech. will qualify you as a pre-requisite for the M.Sc. program you're interested in. Where I'm from (Canada), technology "degrees" are really just community college diplomas and won't qualify you for graduate school. However, by the way you're describing it, it sounds like B.Tech. from a respected Indian university is basically an undergradute engineering degree. This may or may not qualify you for a master's program in physics. At my institution, I know we generally accept engineering students (and historically they do quite well), so long as they have the necessary prerequisite courses.

If the IISER college is an accredited university, (i.e. will be recognized by the M.Sc. programs you're interested in), I wouldn't let the fact that it's new discourage you from going that route - especially if that's the program you really want to take.

Yeah, a BTech in India will make you eligible for MSc programmes; I have checked it up with Indian Institute of Science which is the best place in India for research.

IISER is not an accredited university yet, but it will soon be coz the Govt is really determined to improve Science ducation in India. They have earmarked Rs. 5 billion for IISER for the next five years. Also, IISER only offers 5-year "Integrated MS" courses that will qualify you for a PhD direstly. The last year of the 5-year course will be totally dedicated to research. You will have to go to one of the premier research institutes(IISc, TIFR) and do a research project.

Last edited:
simply no way if you are opting for specialization in fields related to pure physics...MSc after BTech is not allowed in most of the esteemed institutes of india...as many of them consider a BTech degree to be equivalent to a MSc. so u have the choice of directly opting for a PhD...through exams like NET-JRF, GATE...but obviously u can go for MSC(eng) at IISc...check out the sites of the institutes...here goes the link for IISc:
http://www.iisc.ernet.in/admissions/research.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm doing B.Tech in Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering. I checked out the website for eligibility of admission through JAM. They say that one should have a "Bachelor's degree with Physics as a subject for at least two years/ four semesters and Mathematics for at least one year/ two semesters." How would I know if I've studied physics as a main subject or not? I mean how would I know if that's what they wanted? Please help me out!

Chairman Lmao said:
Yeah, a BTech in India will make you eligible for MSc programmes; I have checked it up with Indian Institute of Science which is the best place in India for research.

IISER is not an accredited university yet, but it will soon be coz the Govt is really determined to improve Science ducation in India. They have earmarked Rs. 5 billion for IISER for the next five years. Also, IISER only offers 5-year "Integrated MS" courses that will qualify you for a PhD direstly. The last year of the 5-year course will be totally dedicated to research. You will have to go to one of the premier research institutes(IISc, TIFR) and do a research project.

Are you sure that IISc considers engineering graduates for their MSc physics course?

the IITs has a very reputable undergrad program. one of my professors here got an engineering degree in India and transferred to the U.S. for grad school where there are many good grad programs for physics.

1. What is an MSc in Physics after BTech?

An MSc in Physics after BTech is a postgraduate degree program that focuses on advanced topics in physics and its applications. It is designed for students who have completed a Bachelor of Technology (BTech) degree in engineering or related fields and want to pursue further studies in physics.

2. What are the eligibility criteria for an MSc in Physics after BTech?

The eligibility criteria for an MSc in Physics after BTech may vary depending on the institution, but generally, students should have a BTech degree in engineering or a related field with a minimum aggregate score of 50%. Some universities may also require students to have a strong background in mathematics and physics.

3. What are the career opportunities after completing an MSc in Physics after BTech?

Graduates with an MSc in Physics after BTech have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as research and development, aerospace, defense, energy, healthcare, and education. They can also pursue further studies and research in physics or related fields.

4. How long does it take to complete an MSc in Physics after BTech?

The duration of an MSc in Physics after BTech program is typically 2 years if pursued full-time. However, some universities may offer part-time or accelerated programs that can take longer or shorter to complete, respectively.

5. What skills and knowledge can I expect to gain from an MSc in Physics after BTech?

An MSc in Physics after BTech program provides students with advanced knowledge in various subfields of physics such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It also helps students develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, which are highly sought after in many industries.